Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Iview Media Pro & Xmedia both unstable
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 07:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Iview Media Pro & Xmedia both unstable
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Iview Media Pro & Xmedia both unstable  (Read 5478 times)
eheffa

View Profile Email
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:45 AM »

I am a new Mac convert but have used IVMP for years on the PC (XP Pro).  On the PC, after upgrading from IVMP 3.1 both  IVMP  & Expression Media  were  quite unstable & would lock up very quickly whenever I opened my main catalog. 

I have been using Lightroom  for a while now but miss the speed & functionality of IVMP.

I recently bought a Mac Pro running OSX 10.4 with 9 GB RAM and multiple HD's.  My IVMP catalog (imported from the PC) is 1.6 GB (~70K images) & has been a huge investment of time to create etc. (I am a serious amateur photographer doing a mix  of landscapes and event photography.)

I have loaded Expressions Media to this new machine hoping that my instability problems would be solved but find I am experiencing the same lockups and now have a new graphic to loathe> the perpetual beachball  Angry 
(Even just opening the catalog & doing nothing will result in the program becoming unresponsive.)

My options seem to be:

1. I could just bail on IVMP/Xmedia. 

2. Create a new catalog from scratch on the Mac with XMedia (Yccch but not that different from starting all over with LR but not worth it if I get back to the same state of affairs)

3. Try & get LR to work - is there a way to import categories from IVMP/XMedia  into LR?

4. Try Aperture as a replacement DAM program

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions...

Thank you in advance.

- evan  Undecided

Victoria. BC, Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:05:19 PM »

Evan,
Try this instead.  You might just have a corrupted catalog that needs rebuilding, or the catalog may be too big.

Open the catalog
Select all items
Drag to a new catalog

See if this new one is more stable.

Also, you might try rebuilding your thumbnails at a lower quality. (Change THumbnail preferences, select all items, and rebuild item).

It's also possible that you have some files in the catalog that are causing Quicktime to crash, which will bring down both iView and Expression.  You might try to select all PSD files and try to rebuild, and see if this can force a crash.

How many items in the catalog?
Peter
eheffa

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

Thank you Peter. 

I have just started a new catalogue with the app grinding along to create thumbnails on the first big import.  I'll let it finish that first- but interestingly it is not locked up yet.

The problem catalogue has around 73,000 images. a combination of jpeg, TIF, RAF, NEF & CR2 RAW's plus some PSD's & very little else.  Some  of my panoramic images are very large but I would have thought that after the thumbnail is built (this has been done successfully) they should be stable?

I'll try your suggestions & let you know whether they worked.  Thanks again.

-evan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »

Evan,
Although the database technically supports 130,000 or so images, the database gets unhappy with more than 60,000 or so images, generally.  I'm not surprised that this size of catalog would give problems.

Is there some kind of natural break that you could use to make two smaller catalogs?

Do you have a lot of folders on the collection (this can also cause problems.)

Is all the data that you made in the previous catalog showing up in the new catalog?  If it has not been synced to the file, then the easxiest way to preserve it is to drag items from one catalog to another - this will bring all info along and rebuild the database.  The only thing you lose is the sort order of Catalog Sets.

Also, that catalog size will lead to save errors if you do much work between saves.  THe magic number is 1.8 GB, and hat is a combination of the catalog and the invisibly cached changes made since the last save.

How was the iView locking up?  Did it just beachballl? Did it give a -1310 error?

Peter
eheffa

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:09:21 PM »

Hi Again,

Your suggestions are appreciated.  I am unable to get the old catalog to be stable long enough to transfer over the catalog data.  It hangs when I try & drag files over to the new catalog.  I will try a few more times in smaller aliquots perhaps.

The catalog is quite large.  the actual number of images is around 130K as it turns out.

I do have some natural hard divisions that would allow me to split this in half or so.  I will give that a try as well.

I'll let you know how it turns out if that's of any help.

Thanks again.,

-evan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »

At 130K you have pushed the limits farther than anyone I have ever heard of.

When it hangs on transfer, how long do you wait?  Basically, it's gathering hundreds of megabytes and writing them to a temporary disk cache as you try to transfer,  This can take several minutes (maybe 10 or 15 minutes, even).

Alternately, you could select half of the images and delete them from the catalog, and save as a new catalog.  You could then open the catalog and delete the other half and save as a new catalog.

In any case, I suggest that you copy and archive the catalog in its present form before doing much of an┬ąthing so that you can refer back to it later.

Peter
eheffa

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »

Hi again,

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it choked on my130 K images? In retrospect I see that many of them were scattered over multiple hard drives some of which were not available at any one time.  Your advice to split the catalogs into appropriate discrete subjects was very helpful. I am chagrined to see how obvious that would be... Thank you.  I have now created 4 catalogs in place of the one large catalog.  Although it was not obvious before, this will clearly not have any meaningful negative impact on my retrieving the images I need as the categories are quite clear-cut and discrete.  The program is now running the way that I remember it running once upon a time.  It is now snappy and stable.

The program was not stable enough for me to use your first suggestion of opening and deleting half the images, so I have had to do this the hard way by rebuilding the catalogs from scratch. ( I had tried just waiting for the program to finish its deliberations, but even leaving it overnight on one occasion failed to see the beach ball go away.)  It's obviously a pain to rebuild everything from scratch, but I have to say that IVMP / Xmedia does a far superior job of organizing my images then Lightroom does.  I have been trying to use Lightroom as a substitute for the last six months, and although I liked its raw conversion capabilities in the organizational features and workflow using virtual images simply not a good fit for me.

I am pleased to think that Xmedia may still be an acceptable tool for me.  I guess the take-home message for me (or perhaps anyone else in my situation) is that when the catalog gets large and starts becoming unstable, one should split the catalog into more appropriate subdivisions.

Thank you again for your prompt and most helpful advice.  Now all I have to do is spend another four to six hours rebuilding my categories...sigh, but at least there is hope.

-evan Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: