Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
iView 'open with', ACR 'open', IIP and missing metadata?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 06:20:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  iView 'open with', ACR 'open', IIP and missing metadata?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: iView 'open with', ACR 'open', IIP and missing metadata?  (Read 5383 times)
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »

I originally posted about a problem here http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=2806.0 that I think I've tracked down to something IIP is causing.  I'm hoping someone else on a Windows XP system with current versions of Photoshop CS3 and IIP can replicate this problem.  It happens on both my home system and on my work system to images created using different cameras (Nikon D70 and Canon 1ds MkII).

Basically my DNGs have metadata in them that was added by IIP.  I know the metadata is in the files because I can see it both in Bridge CS3 and in Breeze Browser Pro. 

The images were successfully imported into iView, and the metadata appeared in the iView database as it should. 

However, when I right click and 'open with photoshop' to open the DNGs into Photoshop CS3 via ACR's 'open' button...photoshop will not read the metadata.  I choose 'file -> file info...' once in Photoshop, and I get entirely blank metadata.

If open the file into ACR, use its 'save' button to save the file as a PSD, and then open that PSD in Photoshop the metadata _does_ appear properly.

If I view the original DNG in Bridge CS3 (which can see the metadata), make a single change (i.e. add a keyword) and then open directly into Photoshop via ACR's 'open' button _all_ of the metadata is there in Photoshop's file info panel.  However, if I don't edit the metadata in Bridge first (i.e. view with file info, but then click cancel instead of ok) and open into Photoshop via ACR's 'open' button the metadata is _not_ there.  This leads me to think that the problem is not iView related.

As I look back through my archive, I realize that this problem is affecting a lot of my images.  I'm in the process of importing a large collection of travel images from a long trip, and I've switched IIP versions as the new updates have come out.  I know I was on 2.3.01B18 for a long time, and it appears that images ingested with that version exhibit the problem.

Fortunately, my daily workflow in the studio is to use the 'save' button in ACR, so metadata goes along for the ride there,  However, I'm trying to make droplets for some of my common batch actions and these appear to open files via the 'open' button of ACR.

Is this a problem anyone else is having?

Thanks for the help,

Andris
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »

Andris,
There has been conflict in the past regarding the encoding of stuff like the copyright symbol, but I thought that was worked out a while ago.

I bet Marc will be able to spot the issue right away on seeing a file.

Did any other applications touch the file at any time?

Can you repeat this with brand new files?

Can you change any field that has the copyright symbol in it with iView and make the problem go away?

Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »

I need more info, Andris:

Platform, version of IIP, name of metadata template.

Are you using the old metadata approach used in Version 2.2, or the redesigned approach in Version 2.3? As Peter said, mistakes in a template can cause Adobe software to completely ignore the metadata. The new approach reduces the possibility of these errors.

With some more info, I can perhaps figure out the problem. If not, then I can take a look at the sidecars and DNGs themselves.

--Marc

andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »

Peter:  Good thought on the copyright symbol problem, I remember reading about that.  Doesn't seem to be the issue here, though.  I replaced the symbol with (c), synced out annotations, and still had the same behavior.  Yes, I am able to repeat the problem with new files.  In fact, it's happening to all my files whether I like it or not.  In some cases the files went IIP -> Bridge CS3 -> iView, in others just IIP -> iView.  I did try just double clicking some of the pre-ingestion backup raw files to open them into Photoshop via the ACR open button, and they exhibit exactly the same behavior.  That would appear to rule out an iView problem.

Marc:  I'm currently having the problem with IIP 2.3.02, but I'm seeing the same behavior on files I know I ingested with 2.3.01B18.  I'm on Windows XP. My metadata template name is 'Basic Presets' (my own) and I'm using the redesigned metadata approach from v2.3.  I'll send you an email with the xmp sidecar attached.

Thanks for the help,

Andris
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: