Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Any reason why not to always ingest into same folder?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 07:18:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Any reason why not to always ingest into same folder?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any reason why not to always ingest into same folder?  (Read 4230 times)
Ian

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:50:03 PM »

My bridge tagged photographs are in hundreds of folders as made by Nikon and Adobe importers.  Now I want to reorganise using ImageIngester.  My question is whether there is any disadvantage in ingesting around 20K photographs to just one primary folder plus the backups on separate drives?

regards,

Ian
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »

My "Primary folder" has sub folders that are  DVD big (4.4GB)
Does this help?
Ian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »

Chris,

Thanks for your reply.   Note that my question was about putting all my files into the My documents\my pictures root folder not again making sub folders.  I just thought that with all files tagged and with file names including dates there maybe no reason to use sub folders.  Unless of course too many files in one folder gives bridge and any DAM program a problem?

Ian
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:31 AM »

Hi Ian,

I can definitely say from experience that Bridge CS3 slows to a crawl on folders containing more than 300-400 images.  I'd advise against putting all your images into one giant folder.  A lack of any subdivision would also make it difficult to split things up if your archive grows beyond the size of your internal hard drive.

Just my two cents,

Andris
Ian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 05:21:30 AM »

Andris,

Thanks for your comment.  I had read a post somewhere which was a response from an Adobe techie who advised against having hundreds of sub folders.

regards,

Ian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: