Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How to selectively update metadata
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 10:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  How to selectively update metadata
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to selectively update metadata  (Read 3480 times)
Louie Sherwin

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2007, 11:29:14 PM »

Hi,

I want to use IIP to rename a bunch of old images that still have the 12 character camera filename and extension but are already converted to dng. These images already have quite a bit of metadata applied that I want to keep. I also want to save the original file name in the "instructions" filed and selectively update the Copyright, Copyright Status and Rights Usage Terms fields but leave all the others alone.

I setup a preference that does not run the dng converstion and created an ITPC fields set that only has macros or text input into the fields that I want to update.

When I ingest these images they are copied, the fields I want updated updated, however, every other metadata filed is erased. Not exactly what I had in  mind.

tks, louie

MacOS 10.5 Intel, Photoshop CS5, EM2.0.2 , IIP 3.2, LR3
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:27:02 AM »

Louie,
For existing legacy files, I would personally only want to do that in iView/Expression.
While it's probably technically possible, using a conversion/copy utility to do this, rather than a DAM tool is a bit like working in the dark.
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:48:23 AM »

Louie--

When you say all other fields are erased, I assume you mean they were not present in the sidecar. IIP never modifies any image files (other than to insert GPS coordinates on request).

--Marc

Louie Sherwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »

Peter,

I did look at using iView to rename these images for the reasons you mention. However, iView has a really weak batch rename and to rename the Olympus images requires at least a substring function as is in IIP. The first 4 characters of the Olympus image file name has a color space code and a 3 digit date which can't be matched with iView's simplistic replace function. Also iView does not allow me to stash the original file name. I could write an Apple script but before going down that path I though I would at least try IIP. I also thought about using Bridge to rename but I don't think that gives me the ability stash the original file name either.

Marc,

All the image files that I am trying to rename are already converted to DNG. They already have values assigned to the IPTC Location, City, State and Country exported to the file from iView. This is confirmed by using File Info in Bridge. I have defined quick fields for each with the appropriate macro in the IPTC fields. I have run tests both with and without DNG conversion. In all cases I ran a ingestion and then examined the new image file using Bridge.

I ran several different tests but in all cases when looking at the renamed DNG file all of these fields had been modified.

• If I had a value in the quick field then that was now in the renamed dng.
  • If I had nothing in the quick field but there was a value in the source file field, that field was blank in the renamed dng.
  • Next I also removed the QF macro from the IPTC fields and the field in the renamed dng was always blank even if the source had a value.
I also see the same results for other fields such as the IPTC contact info, although that isn't a problem since for me that is the same for all images anyway so replacing it again is not a problem. But erasing it would be if I forgot to enter a value in the IPTC Fields form.

One idea I have but have not yet tested is to make new metadata template that only contains the fields that I want to update. I think that might create a shortened sidecar with just the data I am interested in updating.

As an aside I am wondering how do you handle this in the multi-camera process since it includes a second ingestion/rename phase?

If this does not seem likely to work, let me know and I will go ahead and write my AppleScript for iView although I am not sure that iView has enough hooks so that I can save the original name. I can at least get the filename consistent.

tks, louie

Louie Sherwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:02:15 PM »

I just finished testing my last idea of using a metadata template that contained only the  3 fields that I want to add. The results are mixed.

As I hoped the macro substitution created a xmp sidecar file for each image with only the fields I specified. However, the dng files out of the conversion pass were missing most but not all of the original image's metadata.

Then I found something interesting. Initially when I used bridge to look at the pre-ingestion backup (with a copy of the dng and the new xmp) the original metadata was missing as well. But Marc has said on numerous occasions that IIP never removes anything from an image. So I tried moving the xmp file aside and voilà all my original metadata appeared.

So it seems that the presence of a xmp sidecar will almost completely override the metadata the may exist in the dng. Even if the external xmp file only has one or two elements defined. It seems like a rather heavy approach by Adobe to not even try to merge the data. Even iView allows you to merge with either a preference for the file or for the catalog.

Speaking of iView I moved the  shortened xmp files back to the folder with the dng files and imported the folder into a new catalog. IView did much better than Adobe and actually tried to merged the two. Unfortunately iView does not recognize the iapMM:PreservedFilename not the copyright status so those did not make it into the catalog.

So it looks like I will need to come up with some other way to  get this done. I think I should to and take some pictures...

-louie

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: