The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Acronis True Image 11
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Acronis True Image 11  (Read 2161 times)
billseymour

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »

Just a quick note- I finally purchased Acronis TI v11 for PC Vista machine. As Dan has pointed out, a very usable program, which I had no problem at all using to backup, and to check results by restoring selected files. I imaged my internal HD (75gb right now) onto an external HD, full backup- took just under 1 hour. (This is longer than I'd calculated, but perfectly acceptable. I guess that would make a full 500gb drive, really 465gb of files, be around 465/75= 6 hours. Again, if necessary, an overnight operation).

I plan to partition the internal drive (maybe using Aronis' Disk Director) for apps/OS, and data, which as discussed here would allow for more efficient imaging of each smaller partition.

A couple of things:

1. I bought a 'box version' of this product, since the box comes with a Bootable CD (I was not confident of doing the creation correctly- though I now see Acronis walks one through the process quite easily). For those seeking a box version of TI (not the easiest thing to find), I got mine at J&R Music World/Computer World. (www.JR.com)

2. A very inexperienced question: looking at Disk Director, Acronis says one ought to make a backup CD of the downloaded software as soon as possible (in case the original program is lost on the HD). I was wondering- exactly what should be backed up to CD? The files that are downloaded from Acronis (I assume a zipped set of files)? The unzipped files in the 'Acronis\Disk_director' folder (or whatever it is named)?

Realizing this is a basic question, but hey, I don't know the answer, so gotta ask.

Thanks for helpful forum replies, as always. (I will also be setting up Genie for incremental backup of non-media files, since I see the value of this as well and clearly this is the application of choice in these threads.)
Bill
Dan Zemke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »

Bill,

I don't have Disk Director but did download True Image 11.  Once you've successfully installed the program, one of the options will be something like  create bootable media, create rescue disk, something like that. For True Image 11, click on Tools and you'll see it there.  It will create a bootable CD for you or you can create and ISO file (which is a standardized bootable image file).  I'm sure Disk Director works the same way. 

This is real easy to do.  BTW, saving the zipfile is a fine thing to do to but it won't allow you to boot and retrieve data if your OS disk/partition dies.

Dan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: