Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
What do people do about missing GPS data?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 10:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  What do people do about missing GPS data?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do people do about missing GPS data?  (Read 21440 times)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:47:29 AM »

Just trying to get an idea of the range of options here - what do people do about missing GPS data?

I've only just got my GPS-Nikon D200 connection working - in the language of DAM as serial monogamy, it was a case of pushing it in harder (the cable) - and this morning I shot a number of pictures which had the GPS data correctly recorded. But at some point the unit switched off and two images were left untagged.

I love nothing better than hacking away in a text editor and so I copied the GPS data from an earlier image's XMP file and pasted it into the untagged items. This seems to have fooled Bridge and Lightroom, though not iView, and the ACR-generated DNG contained the coordinates too. So I'm thinking one option might be to script the coordinates into the sidecar file.

But what are the alternatives? I've got the various Adobe products and also (as of yesterday) IIP.

John
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:35:35 AM »

I'm not sure what your question is exactly, John, but if the issue is writing the GPS data into the file, IIP uses ExifTool to do that job. It's a free download that runs on lots of platforms.

You can use the one that IIP installs. It's in the obvious place on Windows; on the Mac you have to go into the application package with the Finder.

--Marc

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:41:54 AM »

Thanks Marc. It was intended as a very open question to get an idea of the range of possibilities (I'm actually reading your GPS tagging pdf file right now).

John
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »

John--

I just wrote GPSTrackViewer, which doesn't do anything about missing data, but it is capable of reformatting a track log so that II will handle it.

http://basepath.com/index-real.php?url=blogentry/2007-11-13.htm

--Marc

grahamR

grweb@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »

John,

I have run into problems like yours a few times, but more often my "missing gps data" is because i forgot to plug my GPS in when i downloaded my images using IIPbeta, and then had them in lightroom edited before i noticed - and didnt want to reimport them for fear of loosing settings - something i have found a workaround for, but it's messy. (save changes from lightroom, delete raw files - import again with IIP, paste those raw files in the orig folder and resync LR - GPS is stored in the file, edits in the XMP)

One question for you since it sounds like you are using the cable to hook the gps directly to the camera, did you notice any apparant loss in accuracy vs manually syncing the log? I have read reports that the d200 and d2x loose the minutes in the location making the reading vary by sometimes 30 meters.

-Graham

-- Graham
billcheal

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

I had a similar problem where some images were missing the GPS information after I imported them using Breeze Downloader Pro. The problem was caused by my GPS logger having lost signal during the time period that I had taken the pictures.

I was pointed to a simple program, and even Free, GeoSetter <www.geosetter.de> The program is based on ExifTool by Phil Harvey and uses Google Earth to help you place the location exactly. Not only was I able to add the GPS locations to images that had no data, it also allowed my to correct the coordinates that were a few hundred meters off. There is a review if the program at <http://www.damroundup.com>

Bill
gsvenningsen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:20:02 AM »

I had a similar problem where some images were missing the GPS information after I imported them using Breeze Downloader Pro. The problem was caused by my GPS logger having lost signal during the time period that I had taken the pictures.

I was pointed to a simple program, and even Free, GeoSetter <www.geosetter.de> The program is based on ExifTool by Phil Harvey and uses Google Earth to help you place the location exactly. Not only was I able to add the GPS locations to images that had no data, it also allowed my to correct the coordinates that were a few hundred meters off. There is a review if the program at <http://www.damroundup.com>

Bill

Bill, I agree. The GeoSetter software is very good, and as far as I know it is the only program that can edit/correct geotags, e.g. if the GPS-tracklog was not correct or the GPS did not have satellite fix. Additionally, it is great that it "communicates" so well (Description, Location, etc) with Adobe Bridge through the XMP sidecar files.

Gaute
stuwhitt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:57:30 PM »

I too have Geosetter and I have found it very good and to be fair I like Microsoft's Pro Photo Tools, but the main limitation with the latter is the fact that it relies on the Windows Imaging Component which in itself is not a problem, but currently if you use XP you are limited to the Ardfry codec for DNG's and if you use Vista then Adobe have released a codec but the trouble is that both lack the ability to write to the file, and the lack of XMP sidecar support means Pro Photo Tools seems a bit of a dead duck at present though I think that given time it will turn out to be a great tool.

For images I shoot now I use Downloader Pro from Breeze systems to download my images which writes the GPS data from a track log created by my Garmin, in the sidecar which is great for Lightroom and Bridge, however none of the Iview/ EM variants will display the GPS as I believe that EM is looking in the Exif fields rather than the sidecar a real shame though I have raised it with the development team, I don't know if its possible to script EM to grab the GPS data from the sidecar and write to the correct fields.

Stuart Whittingham Smiley
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »

Just tried Geosetter and am very impressed indeed.

John
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:01:08 AM by johnbeardy » Logged
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »

Also see this review - not sure who the Andy is but I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs around here.

John
dandill

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »

I add my commendation of GeoSetter. So far it has been very convenient and helpful.
Wilfried

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »

I am using GeoSetter for 10 months or so, mainly to Geo tag my JPGs manually. But GeoSetter can do more:
- If you are using a stand alone (i.e. not attached to the camera) GPS data logger, GeoSetter can read the track files and synchronize it with your photos. It lists 9 different supported formats of track files.
- If necessary, you adjust the time stamps, if the clock of the camera was not exactly UMT.
- Next you can verify on the map within GeoSetter, if the locations match exactly where you (thought you) took the pictures and correct it manually
- When you assign a location to photo, using one of the two methods, GeoSetter can "translate" the numerical coordinates to the IPTC fields for Country, State, Citiy, Sublocation. Hoever, most of the times Sublocation  was not very meaningful so far and I changed it to mown standard. the latter can be done very easily in a prompt which automatically pops up.
- Independent of the above, you can manually add or change your bulk metadata in IPTC. I do so, before importing the images into iView Media Por (or Expression Media)
- I probably forgot some more functions ....
Note, Expression Media 2 can also read and modify Geo tags and show it Virtual Earth. However, GeoSetter reads and modifies the coordinates in EXIF, whereas Virtual Earth reads it correctly in EXIF, but if you change or set the location in EM2 it does it in IPTC and GeoSetter will not see it! So, technically, one could also use EM2 to set missing GPS data (to respond to Johnbeardy's initial question) , but I prefer using GeoSetter.
So far, I still set GPS data manually. I tested the Wintec WBT 201 GPS Data logger for two weeks, had correct the position of so many pictures that I decided to return it and look for a different one. Currently, I consider either the Qstarz Travel Recorder BT-Q1000P or the i-gotU GT-100 GPS. Unfortunately, my Dynax 5D does not support a directly attached device (and my wallet does not support a Nikon  Grin ).
P.S. Sorry, haven't introduced myself. This might(?) be my first append to the forum, but I read for some time. I am an amateur photographer making ca. 3,000 photos per year (since I have a DSLR). Even before I read Peter's book about 3 years ago, I realized that DAM is absolutely need (even before I knew what DAM is ...)
regards
Wilfried
Steve Fines

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »

Hello,

I'm on a Mac. Although I haven't used GeoSetter it sounds quite similar to HoudahGeo

http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/

The way I use it is locating photos in Google Earth and then 2 clicks puts the GPS data in the EXIF of the file.

It has a bunch of other options and features, but that's all I've used it for.

Steve

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: