The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 10:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Portfolio 8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Portfolio 8  (Read 22339 times)
jkorb

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:53:26 AM »

Peter, now that Portfolio 8 can be downloaded on a trial basis from Extensis, what do you think of the new features. Are they comparable to iView 3? I know it has been only available for a day, but for someone who has used iView, I need to make a decision on whether to upgrade at the discount price by the end of today.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:14:53 PM by peterkrogh » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:03:29 AM »

I'm headed out the door, so I won't get a chance to play with it for a while.  Remember the iView discount is only $30.

Why don't you give a look.  Most important features IMO:

1. Can see and change Bridge Ratings
2. Can see, and properly render DNG files, including the full-size embedded preview.  Should be able to make an output of the file that matches an output (in sRGB) made by Camera Raw from the same DNG.
3. Can create and use private metadata (galleries that are based on internal categories). These virtual sets should be able to be "nested".
4. Can read and write IPTC to DNG files, or RAW files if you don't use DNG.

These were the biggest problems with Portfolio 7, IMO.

Please report back what you find.
Peter

jkorb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 03:34:36 PM »

Peter,

Thanks for the list of problems with the previous version of Portfolio. That will make it easier for me to assess the new version and compare it with iView 3. By the way, I received your book in the mail yesterday from Amazon.com. It look's great.

Jim
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 08:12:13 PM »

Jim,
I took a look at Portfolio.  The good news.  It can see Photoshop Ratings and Labels (Labels is an improvement over iView).  It can create a DNG thumbnail that looks reasonably accurate. (have not done a comprehensive check because of problems below)

The bad news.  Still lots of missing features:

No nested Virtual Sets.  This will be a huge problem with large catalogs
It could not convert a DNG to a full-size JPEG.  The website says that it can do this, I think, but it did not work for me.
There is no Directory view (a graphic representation of where all your images are, that looks like the drive)
No indication in Galleries of the number of files included.  This is basic information in iView.

If any of you Portfolio people can find out how to do the above, I'd love to see it.

Peter

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 06:50:37 AM »

Yikes!  Beardsworth (a Portfolio expert) reports that Portfolio 8 still will not write metadata to any image files except JPEG and TIFF.

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/news/index.php

This is long overdue, and a huge oversight.  I'm stunned, actually.

Peter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 07:41:35 AM »

And he's not very happy at that, but isn't giving up hope.... Take a look at http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/news/index.php?id=P572 where I compare the latest versions of Portfolio and iView. I find it hard to imagine why someone would move from iView unless high volumes and multiuser features were important. To flesh out your comments, Peter:

"No nested Virtual Sets.  This will be a huge problem with large catalogs"
Not sure what you mean but guess it's like Catalog Sets in iView. Well, you can't do it with galleries but there's a feature called categories that is hierarchical. In my experience, people misuse such structures and should use custom fields.

"It could not convert a DNG to a full-size JPEG.  The website says that it can do this, I think, but it did not work for me."
- I confirm this

"There is no Directory view (a graphic representation of where all your images are, that looks like the drive)"
- It does operate slightly differently in that you have to add these yourself

"No indication in Galleries of the number of files included.  This is basic information in iView."
- Yes but there's a count as soon as you open a gallery. The counting in iView is better though.

"Can see and change Bridge Ratings"
- version 7 could see them and (unlike iView) almost any other XMP metadata (except GPS). 8 can see GPS. Writing is restricted to JPG and TIF as before.

"Can see, and properly render DNG files, including the full-size embedded preview."
- seems only to be up to 1024 pixels. Still testing.

"Can create and use private metadata (galleries that are based on internal categories). These virtual sets should be able to be nested."
Private metadata can even include custom XMP.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:37:18 AM »

Well, there you have it, right from the horse's mouth.  John knows as much about Portfolio as anybody you will find out there.
Peter
renerodriguez

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »

Hello Peter. Love your book. I read it in a single sitting of about 3 hours, and will go through it again more carefully and take notes along the way.

I've used Portfolio for a number of years, and upgraded to v8 before testing it out, and testing iView (I know, not a good idea). At any rate, I'd like to force Portfolio into a workflow similar to what you've described in your book. I've spoke with Extensis, and here is there response (along with some questions for you) to each:

>Can it see/change Bridge ratings?
* No. If the ratings can be embedded in Bridge, then PF will be able to use them.
Q: Do you know if that can be done easily in Bridge?

>Can read/write to DNG
* Yes.
In fact, he laughed and said "of course." I haven't tested yet.

> Can it create full-sized JPEG preview from DNG?
* Yes, if the JPEG is embedded in the DNG.
Q: I don't recall if you covered that, but can/should you embed a full-size JPEG in DNG?

Thanks.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:52:43 PM »

Let us know what you find out.
Peter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:59 PM »

Maybe you should have asked "can Portfolio read DNG?" and "can it write to DNG?" as two separate questions. It can read DNGs and XMP information. But despite feature requests, Portfolio 8 cannot write to DNG files. You should tell them you need it.

>Can it see/change Bridge ratings?
* No. If the ratings can be embedded in Bridge, then PF will be able to use them.
Q: Do you know if that can be done easily in Bridge?
This is mainly a Bridge question. Bridge embeds ratings and other metadata in DNG, PSD, TIF and JPEG but not in any raw formats - instead it writes into XMP sidecar file which Portfolio cannot read. If the metadata is embedded, Portfolio 8 is then much better than iView in its support of XMP metadata in that you can point it at any XMP field. In this case you can go into Catalog > Metadata Settings and edit the metadata list, setting up a field to look at the XMP tag xap:Rating.
Portfolio cannot write ratings into the field that Bridge reads.

> Can it create full-sized JPEG preview from DNG?
* Yes, if the JPEG is embedded in the DNG.
Q: I don't recall if you covered that, but can/should you embed a full-size JPEG in DNG?
There's every reason to do so, but you do it in ACR/DNG converter. The only (dubious) reasons not to want a full size preview are file size and time to generate it.

John
MarkAnderson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 08:15:10 AM »

Portfolio v8 and Bridge Ratings - a little clarification.

Porrtfolio v8 can write XMP ratings data to supported formats (currently only JPEG/TIFF) - but not as installed Angry. Some dodgy QA work means one of the installed default configuration files incorrectly stops the catalogue's Ratings field being shown as a source for embedding. Luckily a bit of tweaking under the hood can upt this puts this right. Incidentally, this been reported to Extensis but I've had no feeeback as to whether they've actioned a fix so, if nothing else, forthcoming updates don't inherit this self-inflicted bug.

Mark Anderson / PortfolioFAQ
renerodriguez

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 08:21:24 AM »

Portfolio v8 and Bridge Ratings - a little clarification.

Luckily a bit of tweaking under the hood can upt this puts this right.

Mark Anderson / PortfolioFAQ

Hi Mark. So, what's the bit of tweaking? Thanks!
MarkAnderson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 07:03:56 AM »

You need to open up a 'plist' file (a plain text XML file) and edit the metadata mappings such that the xap:Rating tag is enabled for embedding. Sadly the change only works for new [sic] vcatalogues.  This is weird - do all the work to make XMP supportable and then hoble the feature via a misconfigured file.  I guess this proves the problem of doing QA when your QA staff don't know the niche subject.  Still, when I see Adobe engineers asking about metadata I realise the problem's pretty general.

If you want more detailed info do a search in the POrtfolioFAQ forum, I desribe the exact file to edit etc., in one of the threads.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: