The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 03:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Database and weekly dvds instead of obsessive dvd burn for every task
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Database and weekly dvds instead of obsessive dvd burn for every task  (Read 1727 times)
andycollings

View Profile Email
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:51:45 PM »

Hi Everyone
I'm trying to figure out a way to burn dvds only at the end of each week and to have a remotely-stored database to tell me where my files are. These dvds would be in addition to 2 sets of hard drives at the studio which would archive all my work as well.
I'm wondering if anyone else has considered such a backup strategy. I'm especially interested to know what people think would be a good way to work on projects and then have a system to keep track of what are the modified folders and have some backup program automatically make a disk with that day's date on it.
Any thoughts?
Andy Collings
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »

Andy,
First thing, split your archive files from the working files - this makes everything simpler.

Working files - unless extremely high value - are probably fine with a 3 hard drive system, especially if one is offline/offsite.
Wrangle all works in progress in a Working Files folder so that you only have one place to backup.

I wait until files are in the permanent archive before burning DVDs.

Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: