The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  Binding Problems on The DAM Book (First Edition)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Binding Problems on The DAM Book (First Edition)  (Read 7384 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »

I have gotten several emails recently from people who have encountered defective bindings on The DAM Book. 
If your book falls apart with normal use (even heavy normal use) email me off list, and I can put you i touch with O'Reilly.
Peter

Added 8/30/09
To my knowledge, this affected only one print run from the first edition, and there have been no reports of problems with the second edition.
Peter
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:54:01 AM by peterkrogh » Logged
soniak

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »

Peter - 
I don't have a problem with the binding.  But I DO have a problem 'curling up' with a 475-page tome.  I've actually considered tearing my copy of the book apart so that I can read it in installments....and in comfort (and I might just do that).  It's the weight of the spine jabbing into my ribs, my stomach, my crotch, my thigh syndrome.  Personally, I would REALLY appreciate if how-to "bibles" like this were not bound at all so that we could grab a few pages and go to an appointment, take a larger handful on a trip...etc.  I'm sure it's too radical an idea to fly at O'Reilly but my ribs/stomach/crotch/thigh would really appreciate a solution!!   Embarrassed   
Love the book otherwise!

Sonia
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »

Sonia,
Yes, I realize that's a lot of paper. I did my best to include only what's necessary, but there is a lot of ground to cover...
Peter
soniak

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »

Peter -

My remarks were not meant as a criticism for the length of the book!  I was just trying to suggest that books of this size and nature should ideally be printed as "loose-leaf" books that we can take apart and read in sections, keep in our laps without jabbing us, etc. .... For that matter you could easily issue your own "book" if it didn't need binding.  Just a radical thought.
J.W. Wall

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »

in the past, I've taken such books to a print shop and had them cut a thin slice off the edge to remove the perfect binding, then punch and insert a spiral binding. Works fine but there's not much if any left of the gutter (binding side of each page).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: