Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
.tif thumbnails are screwy
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 02:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  .tif thumbnails are screwy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: .tif thumbnails are screwy  (Read 3445 times)
kcramsay

View Profile Email
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:21:02 AM »

I'm now using .tif files for derivitive files but have noticed a problem:  If an adjustment layer is highlighted when I save the file for the first time (Windows), I get a weird thumbnail. The "weird" thumbnail displays the same way in iView and in the Windows file browser. Regardless, the file seems fine, and opens up in CS3 with all layers in tact.

The screwy thumbnail remains even if the file is saved with a new name, even if the background layer is active when I save. Is there a way to remove the embedded thumbnail in .tif files, or update it?

KC Ramsay
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:11:40 PM »

Hi KC, just a few quick thoughts...

Do your tiffs have any saved alpha channels?  In the iView prefs, you might try checking/unchecking the 'use alpha channel' box under media rendering -> images.  I'm not sure if this will help, but tiff alpha channels have caused strange behavior for me in the past in other applications.

Also, do you select any non-standard tiff options when you save your files?  I use none or LZW compression, interleaved pixel order, and IBM PC byte order.  Looking at these tiff save options, I realize I've never had any occasion to change the 'layer compression' options at the bottom.  Have you tried using RLE vs ZIP for layer compression?

Of course, after playing with any of these settings you'd want to choose 'action -> rebuild item' in iView to make sure the thumb gets rebuilt.

Good luck,

Andris
kcramsay

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

Bless you!  You are genius. This was an old file... a remnant of my less sophisticated selection and masking days. And yes, there were 3 saved selections that, when deleted, solved the problem. My tif save settings remained unchanged... just like yours.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make a stab at this. It's been driving me totally bonkers for months.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: