Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
GPS Questions?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 04:09:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  GPS Questions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GPS Questions?  (Read 4428 times)
Pop

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:24:51 AM »

Mark,

I was reading about RoboGEO and came across some posts that mentioned you have now added GPS tagging to your software.
I am running Windows Vista 32bit. 
Will your software allow me to open multiple GPX files at ingestion? (eight day trip coming up, each days file is saved to the card on my Garmin 76CSx).
Is the altitude field displayed in meters or feet? (I am using Lightroom 1.2, if that makes any difference)

Thanks for your help,

Ron
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »

Ron--

You can open multiple GPX files... I did the same thing recently on a 5-day trip, with one file per day. With IIP, since it can find the times it needs, it makes sense to open all the track logs at once, and then do all the ingestions. It will keep using the track log data it has, remembering it from ingestion-to-ingestion, until you quit the app.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "altitude field displayed" -- I assume you're asking about how the data is inserted into the EXIF fields. It's inserted in meters.

--Marc

Pop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »

Marc,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Your answer to the second question is what I was looking for (I was hoping it was in feet).

Ron
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »

Ron--

I didn't see anywhere in the spec for the EXIF GPS fields where the units are specified and all the examples I looked at use meters. So, I'm not aware that feet is an option.

I could be wrong (as usual)...

--Marc

ianw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »

Ron / Marc,

According to the EXIF spec ( http://www.exif.org/specifications.html ) altitude is always in metres. It's stored as a rational field i.e. a fraction, and is always positive.

For example in one of my images the altitude is stored as <exif:GPSAltitude>33667/1000</exif:GPSAltitude>, and this means 33.67 metres above sea level, subject to GPS accuracy!

There is a tag in the EXIF fields called GPSAltitudeRef which inidcates whether the altitude is above or below sea level - 0 indicates above and 1 indicates below. So if I'd had a GPS with me when I went to Badwater in Death Valley a few years ago the GPSAltitudeRef would be 1 and GPSAltitude would be 85500/1000 to give -85.5 metres.  Have you tested that this works Marc?!

Ian
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »

Ian--

IIP is written to populate the GPSAltitudeRef field... don't know to what extent it's been tested by users.

--Marc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: