Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Preserve subfolder structure - Possible?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 11:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Preserve subfolder structure - Possible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Preserve subfolder structure - Possible?  (Read 4377 times)
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »

I work as a digital asset manager for a high-volume lifestyle/advertising photographer, and I love Image Ingester Pro.  It places a lot of my work in one place and leaves little room for forgetting steps when I'm working on several tasks at once.

Here's my question:  The photographer I work for often shoots tethered, and shoots a lot (18,000 images from one 4 day shoot is typical).  Basically, we treat large, removable hard drives like memory cards.  Shoots are subdivided by the digital capture tech on the capture hard drive loosely in the following structure:  Shoot name/Day number/Shot number.  I know the widely held belief here is that storing subject information in the folder tree is a poor practice, but with the large number of images I handle I need to subdivide somehow or programs like bridge will slow to a crawl.  I don't think it makes sense for me to re-divide the images into folders by any of the options in the rename panel of the preferences, since I don't want to unnecessarily mingle images from, say shot 1 with images from shot 2.  I can't find macros that give me access to the file path structure.

Is there any way for me to preserve the original folder structure from the import source, but to have all the other great work that Image Ingester Pro does (renaming, metadata application, DNG conversion, etc) done?  Ideally, I'd like to do a one click ingestion on the top level 'Shoot name' folder.  As far as I can tell, for now my only option is to ingest each shot folder individually.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help,

Andris

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:58:17 AM »

Unfortunately, no... it's on my list, but won't make it into Version 2.3 which I'm working on now.

--Marc

andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »

No problem, thanks for the quick response.  Even without that feature, IIP will save me a lot of time.

Andris
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »

FYI - I found a workaround for those of you shooting tethered who would like to import an entire shoot from a hard drive using ImageIngesterPro in one go:

I had our digital tech include a 4 digit code in the filename.  The first 2 digits were for the day number of the shoot, and the last 2 were for the shot number of the day.  (I.e. day 3 shot 4 would be 0304).  I then used the {@filename} macro in the folder arrangement and names section of the naming tab to pull out the specific characters I needed to divide the files into the right subfolders (I.e. day{@filename, 25, 2}/shot{@filename,27,2}) to pull out the information I needed.  I bit clunky...but it allowed me to import the entire shoot in one go.

Just thought others might find this useful.

Andris
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »

Indeed, this is a very clever and useful solution. Takes full advantage of the substring capability built into every macro.

Nice work, Andris! Wish I'd thought of this when you first asked... ;-)

--Marc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: