Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media SP1 for Mac--strange characters in Custom Field names
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 02:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media SP1 for Mac--strange characters in Custom Field names
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expression Media SP1 for Mac--strange characters in Custom Field names  (Read 3624 times)
mikeseb
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:59 AM »

After using Expression Media for the Mac (latest OS version) without problems since its introduction, I've installed SP1. Oops.

With an image selected, in the Info panel, my custom field names appear with a strange symbol appended to the field name. Clicking on the custom field as if to enter data, the usual drop-down list with my choices does not appear (most of my custom fields I've set to restrict entries to my pre-defined lists of choices). These symbols are also appended to CF names in the Vocabulary Editor panel, and the choices are unavailable there as well. Looking directly at the .txt files for those fields, nothing seems amiss.

On the Organize panel, my custom field sections now have a question mark appended after each CF name; within each section, the choices are all visible and the ability to select all images with a certain CF data value seems to work properly.

Any suggestions? Maybe MS will release a SP for its SP!

Mike Sebastian
mikeseb
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:36 PM »

Addendum:

Tried to uninstall / reinstall the program. Now the strange symbols and the question marks, described above, are DOUBLED. Yep, there are now two "strange symbols" following the custom-field labels in "info" panel; and two "?" symbols following CF names in the "organize" panel.

Now I've buggered it.

I've reported this to MS; hope someone can help me figure out and fix this.

Mike Sebastian
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »

Hi Mike,

Can you open the catalog in iView? Maybe it will "fix" it. Or perhaps an older version of xMedia. Report the bug directly to: xmbugs at microsoft dot com.

-- Robert.

mikeseb
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:13:35 AM »

I have iview 3.13 (last version) on my system since before EM was installed. I've opened my current EM catalog in iVMP, and the strange characters are back, only as singles rather than as doubles, just as when I first opened my EM catalog in the SP1 EM. I also opened a backup of my pre-SP1 EM catalog (presumably uncorrupted) in both EM SP1 and in iVMP, and the single characters are there. I've also tried the alt-open routine for rebuilding a catalog file, to no effect.

*^$&%@ Microsoft! And I'm not a reflexive MS hater!

Only thing left to try, I guess, is to reinstall iVMP since EM must have fouled something with it when I installed it. But I grow tired of these follies.... Undecided

Mike
mikeseb
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 09:21:58 AM »

I went to Edit | Custom Fields... and simply renamed the custom-field names by deleting the additional characters. Problem solved--or so I though until I saved, closed, and reopened the catalog. Problem is back again. This has to be a character set incompatibility of some kind, and it has to be in the .txt files that contain the custom-field information.

I've reported this to MS thru the channel suggested above, and thru any other channel I can find thru the MS site. I am certainly not going to pay $99 for a support email!

this kind of c--p is hastening the day I depart from a program that has served me well. If I could find a mac-compatible script allowing me to take my custom field, catalog-set, and People info into LR I'd do it today.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:42:33 AM by mikeseb » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: