Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media SP1
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2020, 05:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media SP1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Expression Media SP1  (Read 22716 times)
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 12:33:42 AM »

ex-xMedia... uncanny.

Would that make us the Uncanny Non-X-Media-Men?

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
mikeseb
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 06:15:59 AM »

Bill, John, and Dierk:

This MS thing has me worked into a lather. I reached into my bag of "metaphors and aphorisms", and out popped that one. Couldn't remember where I first heard it, so Google time:

"Screwed the pooch," meaning "made a terrible mistake," is a
cleaned-up paraphrase that author Tom Wolfe popularized. Wolfe's book
"The Right Stuff," which dealt with the early years of America's
manned space program, used the phrase "screwed the pooch" in
describing a calamitous error made by Mercury Astronaut Gus Grissom:

"But now - surely! - it was so obvious! Grissom had just screwed the
pooch! In flight tests, if you did something that stupid, if you
destroyed a major prototype through some lame-brain mistake such as
hitting the wrong button - you were through! You'd be lucky to end up
in Flight Engineering. Oh, it was obvious to everybody at Edwards [Air
Force Base] that Grissom had just f****d it, screwed the pooch, that
was all."

(from page 230 of "The Right Stuff," by Tom Wolfe)

The original military term was "f****d the dog," which generally referred to
military men goofing off on the job, rather than to catastrophic
errors:

"Screw the Pooch
The phrase screw the pooch, meaning to mess up, commit a grievous
error, was made famous in Tom Wolfe's book The Right Stuff. The phrase
is a euphemism from US military slang. The original expression was
f**k the dog and meant to waste time, to loaf on the job.

F**k the dog...appears in print for the first time in 1935, but in
1918 another euphemistic version, feeding the dog, appears. The
original sense dates to 1918. Over the decades, the meaning shifted to
the current sense and the screw the pooch wording took the place of
the original phrasing."

Is it any wonder I never get much done?

jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »

I understand that Microsoft is a big company, and they're busy and don't want to be deluged with individual Q's.

Big company or small, a product should have good customer support. If Microsoft doesn't have the knowledge or resources to give proper support to EM, then they shouldn't have purchased Iview. If any company has deep  pockets it's Microsoft; I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't have their act together with EM.

I've been using Iview for a long time, and it's an important part of my workflow. This is very frustrating and seemingly unnecessary. I guess they have their best minds working on Zune.  :Smiley

billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 04:52:29 AM »

Perhaps Microsoft is working on the ability to edit photos on Zune using Expression Media
...explaining why both products are having issues...

Bill

(Have you notice that Microsoft seems taken with the 'odd letters' of the Scrabble board:

Z- Zune   X- XM- Expression Media

What is next? Microsoft Qffice ?)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 05:27:20 AM »

Maybe because a more ego-driven company uses "i" for its prefix?

John
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »

Maybe because a more ego-driven company uses "i" for its prefix?

John

I'd take an ego-driven company with products that work well, and are well supported, over a more humble company with support and technical problems. I'm not sure if you're referring to iView or Apple, but iView was doing pretty well before MS bought it, and I haven't heard too many complaints about Aperture  or other Apple products (IIRC, Apple has won awards for their customer support).

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 11:51:51 PM »

He was surely referring to Apple, probably the most ego-driven company ever; their products work as well as others but not better. The support by Apple, IME, is abysmal but they share that with a lot of companies in the computer business. Fortunately even hard-core Apple fans get a bit more realistic lately [iPhone anybody, iTunes/iPod?].

Nevertheless, and leaving aside that iView had its problems, too, when it came to timely new versions, I share your sentiment about Microsoft's handling of Expression Media. It is disheartening to hear that internally progress and aims are quite well while the customers only get promises. I had so hoped MS would show bashers what they [MS] are capable of ...

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 11:48:11 AM »

I guess we should avoid this Apple vs. MS debate. But EM really does seem like a pain at this point. Just checking for the latest version is difficult.

roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 01:53:14 PM »

Hi Jim,

Check for updates is now included in the app.

-- Robert.

mikeseb
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »

Just to update everyone re my troubles with Expression Media SP1 on the Mac. Recall that after installing it I had a problem of strange characters being appended, with each close and reopen of my image catalog, to the ends of custom field names--interfering with the function of those custom fields.

Initial service response from MS was slow and disjointed, but I somehow found myself in contact with someone up the food chain named Anita who has been very helpful. Anita helped me get the SP cleanly removed from my system, allowing a reinstall of the original ExMedia application, which has resolved the problem and put me back to a very smoothly functioning, SP1-less square one.

She told me that engineers have found the cause of the problem, which is corruption of the vocabulary files containing custom field names and data choices therein. However, she is not certain whether the issue will warrant a high enough priority for a fix now, or later with version 2.

I guess this means that the SP is ineffective/dangerous for some number of people who installed it, and MS can't decide if they'll fix the "fix" before the next version! What the h--- have they done with my beloved iVMP?

I guess I'll carry on with my current install of ExMedia until version 2 comes out, at which time I can see whether ExMedia is moving forward or going down the tubes, relative to other DAM offerings at that time. With luck by then there will be an easy way to migrate my custom-field and catalog-set data out of ExMedia and into whatever DAM software is getting it done then.

Meanwhile, I'd reiterate my advice to avoid SP1 like the plague unless you're having specific problems it purports to be able to solve.

Mike S.
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »

I've gone back to iView, as I was having trouble with EM and there didn't seem to be much if any advantage to using it over IV.

Louie Sherwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

Hi Mike,

Sorry for you problems but I am glad that you finally got some help. I was curious if you are running Windows or MacOS? I have several custom fields so I am being rather cautious about starting to use EM.

-louie

MacOS 10.5 Intel, Photoshop CS5, EM2.0.2 , IIP 3.2, LR3
mikeseb
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2007, 08:54:26 AM »

thanks Louie. I'm on Mac OS latest version on an old PowerPC G4 tower. (Wife has given me several life options, with "get a new Mac" as the least palatable among them. Smiley )

I'm back to ExMedia version 1.0 and overall things are running well. My main ExMedia problem now is that the handy Custom File Info Panel--either John Beardsworth's modified iVMP version (which worked in the last version of iVMP and in ExMedia v.1.0), or the newer iteration that auto-installs with ExMedia--is not working consistently right in PS CS3.

Strangely, the panel works properly with raws and DNG's, but not with TIF files of some scanned film. For those, my custom-field, people, and catalog-set data are still written back to the image files, but for some reason now not showing up in the CFIP's. This must tie in somehow with my problems with custom-field names, resolved by stripping SP1 from my system.

One more thing I hope the MS people get around to fixing in ExMedia version 2.

Mike S.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:09:58 AM by mikeseb » Logged
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 04:55:12 PM »

Hi Jim,

Check for updates is now included in the app.

-- Robert.

Swell; thanks.

- Jim

Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »

Downloaded SP 1 this morning. Removed my edition of EM before downloading as per instructions and signed up with Windows Live. When the download was completed all I had was SP 1. Reinstalled EM and tried to install SP 1 but received an error message telling me SP 1 could not be installed because EM was missing or the patch was wrong. I was about to contact MS but decided to check this thread first. It would appear that I don't want SP 1 from some of the posts. Have been using iView with no real problems but thought I'd get EM up to date and experiment.

Running a PC with XP.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: