Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Missing metadata in Expression Media
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Missing metadata in Expression Media
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Missing metadata in Expression Media  (Read 7571 times)
Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:50:19 AM »

Okay, so I decided to give it a try since it was free.  I loaded Expression Media and it read all of my existing files just fine.  However, yesterday I added new images to my rename folder in Bridge 2.0, renamed the images, added metadata, and imported them into the catalog.  I realized that I only put metadata into about half of the images, so I completed the rest in Expression and synced the annotations to the files. (No not from the original to the catalog)  When I rebuilt the cache and checked them in bridge, everything seemed fine, but my contact info was missing.  Oh well, I decided to go ahead and rate the images and do my adjustments in ACR and then refresh the Expression catalog folder that the files would show in.  I did the rating and adjustments and I removed the files from the catalog in Expression.  I moved the files to my rate and adjust folder to make sure Expression saw them as new files to add.  I then updated the folder.  It pulled all of the images in but had no new metadata in the files.  I tried this several times with no success.  So I removed my new images folder from the catalog entirely, emptied the trash, restarted Expression and dragged the appropriate folder with sub-folders into Expression.  Every image showed, but, again, the same metadata was missing.  This time, when I viewed them in Bridge 2.0, all data was present.  Undecided

I decided to experiment.  I closed Expression Media and opened iView Media Pro.  Guess what?  All of the data showed up in every image.  However, when I tried add a couple of new keywords, it would let me double-click on the "Double click to add keyword..." and a new blank space would open up, but would not let me type anything in the space.  I had to uninstall Expression Media, restart, reinstall iView Media Pro 3 to get back to a working system.   

Has anyone had a problem anything like this?   Huh  Sadly, I expected issues like this when MS took over.

FYI:  I am using the Mac Platform OS 10.4.10
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:19:06 AM by Wayne_N » Logged

Wayne in Houston
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »

Wayne,

In Expression Media (and iView) in the General Preferences dialog there is a drop down list called Field Names.  I'm not sure which value you need but it's either the Photoshop or IPTC one.  Adobe don't follow the exact naming conventions of IPTC, so xMedia/iView have to cope with both!

As I say I can't remember offhand which is which - at work - you need to change the preference and re-sync the data back to the image and view again in Bridge.  If it worked in iView see what the setting is there.

I think the general feeling amont users is not to move to Expression Media until the next release is out, which will fix a few of the niggly problems - should be soon!

Ian

Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »

Good try, but no cigar, Ian.  I have the same settings set up in Expressions and iView.  iView has no problem seeing the data and I've been using it for a while.  The exact same fields in Expression populated the first time, but, then, no longer show the metadata.  Basic stuff that carries straight over from Bridge, like Description, Keywords. Contact info.........

No, there is definitely something off in the program other than the fields.  But, thanks for trying.  Wink

Wayne in Houston
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 02:39:10 PM »

You need to supply more detail. What build of xMedia - it should be 8103/8104. And what types of files are involved? I wonder if there are any xmp files for those images and Bridge is reading those, rather than metadata written into the file.

John

ps Wayne, please note forum rules are to sign posts
Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

I can't tell you the build, because MS did see it as necessary to include a build number in the download and I've already removed the program from my Mac.  However, it was the latest version after for the upgrade.  I think I can safely say it was not reading the very same embedded data as iView was able to read, as I stated in the original email.  iView has no issues seeing the embedded data.  EM, for some reason could only see data that I had previously embedded using iView.  What more info would you need than that?  Bridge isn't an issue here.  I was just referencing it to demonstrate that all programs in the link could see the data but EM.  After any initial metadata input in Bridge and subsequent sync in iView, I delete the XMP files to avoid confusion later.  I"ve had no issue until I installed EM on the Mac.  Huh

Wayne in Houston
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »

Hi Wayne,

John may have asked about the builds because each one introduces new "challenges". For example Peter had to find a workaround in RapidFixer when Bridge 2.1 came out. The first version of Expression Media introduced a whole lot of headaches. You can check the build number in the Expression Media menu.

My guess is the same as John's; xMedia is reading/confusing XMP sidecars and embedded metadata. Otherwise you may have found a bug. Someone has to be the first Wink. The moderators here have the ears of engineers from both Adobe and Microsoft.

-- Robert.

Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:54:15 PM »

I didn't mean to sound annoyed by the question.  If I did, I certainly apologize.  I just was annoyed at MS for not attaching a version number to the download for Mac.  I had to uninstall Expression Media from my Mac to get the catalogs to work again, but in iView.  iView is reading everything and doesn't seem to have a problem updating the folders.  xMedia seemed to work fine until I imported new images, then nothing.  AND, it seemed to be interfering with iView accessing the input areas of the info pane in the catalog on the same computer even if xMedia wasn't running.  So, I guess I'll wait until the next update and try again.

Just for the fix side of it.  I don't know the build, but it was downloaded originally on 7/20/07.  I just reloaded it to get the build; it's v.1.0.8103.0  I guess it isn't the latest and it hasn't tried to update itself.  I don't even see an option to update in the menus.  The files are all Canon .CR2 files and it didn't matter if I did the IPTC in Bridge or xMedia.  It just wouldn't read data in about half of the files.  When I closed xMedia and opened iView, all of the data was present, I just couldn't use the info pane to change or input new data.  All of my PS updates are current, as well as my Apple updates.  I think that's it.  Let me know if you need more information. 

Okay, I just downloaded the latest version, I think.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:01:49 PM by Wayne_N » Logged

Wayne in Houston
Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »

They're not making it easy to upgrade. (Why I left MS to begin with).  I finally found the latest, latest version which is V. 1.0.2 (9038) with Service Pack 1.  I will see how this works and report back.

Wayne in Houston
Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:37:46 AM »

Well, I loaded the latest, latest version.  Version 1.0.2 (9038) Service Pack 1 for Mac.  It initially did the exact same thing.  After 3 uninstalls and reinstalls, I think it finally took.  But, we'll see tomorrow when I get back from shooting.  Thanks for the input.

Wayne in Houston
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 02:01:03 PM »

A throw away comment in this thread suggests not following xMedia just yet. Next upgdrade 2Q 2008 -- without slippage time?
LR isn't mature enough just yet
iVMPro is dead?
Where do we go?
Chris Bishop
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »

Hi Chris,

I think Ian wrote that before the SP1 shipped. This fixes the bugs that stopped many recommending it over iView so build 9038 should now be OK to use. You go first Wink.

-- Robert.

Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »

Hi Chris,

I think Ian wrote that before the SP1 shipped. This fixes the bugs that stopped many recommending it over iView so build 9038 should now be OK to use. You go first Wink.

-- Robert.
Chicken!  Grin

Wayne in Houston
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 02:08:10 AM »

I think Ian wrote that before the SP1 shipped.

Correct!  I usually have impeccable timing!

I will be playing with the new version over the weekend, unless better options occur.  Of course this will be on copies to the catalogues until I'm happy Grin

Ian
Wayne_N

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »

I did do that, Ian.  I would never jeopardize my catalog.  I always have a bu of the original to revert to.  Wink

Wayne in Houston
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: