Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Keywording Derivatives?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 12:10:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Keywording Derivatives?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keywording Derivatives?  (Read 3396 times)
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:51:30 AM »

Despite much research on this and other forums, I'm still not clear on what is the best (least likely to get metadata messed up) and easiest (least likely to keep me up all night swearing at iView) way to keyword derivatives.

I have all of my RAW files set up with Catalog Sets used like heirarchal keywords -- I know this adds a wrinkle.   I would like to use iView/EM to open my 3rd party RAW converters (Bibble, DPP) to generate the jpegs and I would like to have the catlaog sets/keywords make the roundtrip into the derivative files.

One way to do this would be to run the iView script (that someone other than iView graciously created) to convert the catalog sets to keywords -- that seems to test out pretty well -- and then sync the keywords into the RAW files.  From there, me thinks that the keywords would carry forward into the final saved jpegs (at least it seemed to test out okay using DPP as the converter).  One problem with that is that I would sort of lose the heirarchal nature of the keywords.

That's not a huge problem for my needs BUT I do know that some folks on the DAM forum frown on the practice of embedding keywords into the RAW files metadata unless and until it is time to migrate the file.  Among other things, I would imagine that you might tweak the catalog sets/keywords over time and they would eventualy go out of sync with multiple files.  As an aside, I think that there may be some scripts that will syn metadata across multiple files if the files have the same name but with different extensions, but I don't have that naming convention anyway (i use the RAW_200070910_1234.CR2 and Frank_20070910_1234.jpg convention, sometimes with additional info (like B&W) appended to the root name, so that wouldn't seem to be an option.  I've also heard  tell of some future scripts planned but haven't seen them or heard specifics that might give me a clue as to how to prepare for using them.

So....assuming that I would rather blow my brains out than keyword in both the RAW and the jpeg versions of a file -- not to mention any additional derviatives or edits -- what is the best (or only) way to do this?

I guess I figured that by the time I got all my RAW files set up there would be an obvious way to to that (yes, I suppose I expected something like that in the EM release), but the way forward is still way unclear.

Any ideas would be a big help.

Thanks,
Frank
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »

Hi Frank,

You could stick with Lightroom and export the Catalog to your wife's computer. Or to stick with iView and use the script that copies metadata from the original to derivative if they have the same filename.

-- Robert.

frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »

Robert,
I'm in iView/EM rather than Lightroom.  My file names follow the DAM book conventions for derivatives so I don't think the scripts you mention will work.  My wife doesn't have a computer.

Any opinion on the option I mentioned:  convert catalog sets into keywords; sync the metadata into the RAW files before generating the derivatives.

Frank
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »

Hi Frank,

Sorry mate I got your posted confused with another. You can copy Sets to keywords. The AppleScript version works:

http://infomatters.com/im/freestuff.html#iview

Of course when the images are imported into your Derivatives catalog you lose the lovely heirarchical display.

John Beardsworth has shown a VB script that copies Sets to Keywords. It won't work until Microsoft fix some bugs in the object model.

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: