Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
iView/EM: how to leave behind dropped files....
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 12:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  iView/EM: how to leave behind dropped files....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: iView/EM: how to leave behind dropped files....  (Read 5521 times)
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:30:11 PM »

Here's my situation:  I recently cleaned up my EM catalog of redundant images.  It was more trouble than it sounds because I couldn't use the "find dupes" command because the images were in subfolders and had different paths.   So I had to use a Find Similar and then eyeball everything.   Anyhoo, I got the unwanted files cleaned up so that they are no longer *in the catalog*.  However, they are still on the hard drive and still in its subfolders, residing among the files that are still in the catalog.  Nothing wrong with the subfolder arranngement (they include my DVD buckets etc.) but I'd like to shed those images from the hardrive altogether without losing the folder structure for the remaining files.  Not sure how to weed them out.

For example, is there a way for EM to use one of the "Transfer to Folder" commands to move the catalog to a new location, thereby leaving the photos that are no longer in the catalog behind but keeping them in their folder structure (and retaining all catalog sets, etc.)?   It looks like the options want to place all files into a single folder....   I could experiment a bit, but this looks fraught with peril.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »

Frank,

It's too late now, but I think the way to do this would have been to create a catalog set in your existing catalog, drag all your unwanted images to it, transfer them to another folder, then remove them from the catalog.  However, since you have already removed them, I would recommend creating a new catalog with all the images again then perform this operation.  I don't know of an easier way.  I hope your catalog is not too big.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:52:02 PM »

Like Dan, I'd say you should have corrected the problem while they are in the catalogue.

But you could import them again by updating the relevant folders, and use Find > Show Last Import to isolate the newly-imported files. Put them into a set, check no good images have crept in at the same time, and delete.

John
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:08:11 AM »

Frank,

Think this will work!
  • Make a copy of your catalogue which contains the images you want.
  • Create a 'keep' catalogue set and add all the images to it.
  • Update folders to add back in all the images that you have removed.
  • Select all images from the 'keep' catalogue set and remove them from catalogue.
  • You should now have a catalogue with just the images you want to really delete.
  • Select these images and use the 'move to recycle bin / trash' icon - or Control/Command Delete.
For 'comfort' reasons you could do the above on a directory by directory basis.

Ian
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »

Good call Ian - that's exactly what I would do.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »

I had forgotten about the "Show Last Import" command.  I think I like John's method.... seems quicker.  Of course, you might want to back up the catalog first.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »

Thanks guys, very helpful!  I ended up doing something similar to what Ian suggested.  But I lucked out in not having to do all the steps b/c for "comfort reasons" i had labeled the images that I wanted to delete and saved the catalog using a different file name before actually going through with the deleting (b/c EM crashes fairly often I've gotten in the habit of saving catalogs before doing anything to them ala "catalog1_sep9_v3" etc.). 

So, I was able to go back to that older catalog, find all the files that I had labeled for deletion, then I used a Transfer to Folder/Move command to put them in a single new folder not viewed by the new catalog.  I then opened up the new catalog and doublechecked that I hadn't moved any wanted files by looking for files that were in the new catalog but no longer seen by the catalog.   I had to do some clean up but basically it worked.  In a few weeks or when the HD gets full, I'll go ahead and Trash the files that I had moved once and for all, but at least their out of my buckets.

Thanks again.  They should include you guys in the next service pack release!!

Frank
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »

Well,
we're not exactly in that release, but maybe in the future...
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: