Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Can IIP not leave xmp files around?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 06:48:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Can IIP not leave xmp files around?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can IIP not leave xmp files around?  (Read 5553 times)
Steve Rams

View Profile Email
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »

I can't figure out how to use IIP to embed metadata, sync the metadata from the xmp file into the image file, and then delete the xmp file automatically.  I hope I don't have to use IVMP to do the sync and for me to manually delete xmp files.

I am doing trials of IIP on windows XP and am using JPEGs.

Also, I get those "db" files.  I believe I read a post that said these had nothing to do with IIP.  Do you know where they come from.  I don't want them hanging around either.

BTW, I ran out of free injestions during the IIP trial and ended up buying the IIP license before finishing my eval of it.
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:17:58 PM »

Steve--

If you find that in the end you can't use IIP, let me know, and I'll see that you get a refund.

The problem with sidecars and JPEGs is that no Adobe apps that I know of will use the sidecar for JPEGs. It appears only iView does it.

I think what I'l need to do at some point (not for Version 2.3) is write into the JPEG myself, but that's very complicated, so it wil be a big job. As you know, I've been emphasizing support for raw formats (which also have sidecar problems, notable with Aperture) over JPEGs.

Can't help you with the db files. Maybe you can look at the file times to guess what was running?

Anyway, as I said, if you don't come up with a workable JPEG solution and want a refund, let me know.

--Marc

Steve Rams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:03:21 PM »

Marc,

Thanks for the quick response.  I need to think about your offer a bit.  My gut tells me to go back to using the custom VB scripts I wrote for IVMP for dealing with renaming and metadata.  I am shooting more RAW these days and would probably find IIP useful, but I need to think whether I want two different workflows for the two file types.  I'll be shooting in-camera JPEGs for quite some time as I find the Canon G7 perfect for street candids and business travel (and it doesn't shoot RAW like my other cameras).

I looked at the db file properties and did quick google search.  The files appears to be database files that get generated at injestion time by the SQL code that IIP uses.  The summary panel of the file properties of the files contains "title", "subject", "category", "keywords", and other fields.  IIP will also create the same file but with the "duplicate file/uniqueness" extension (i.e., "_00001") if it already sees a .db file of the same name.  Any ideas?
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »

Steve--

Can you email me one of these db files?

Thanks!

--Marc

Steve Rams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 06:05:01 PM »

Marc,

I've just emailed you one of those db files and also the window image of the file properties that shows various image-like fields.

--Steve
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

Steve--

I responded to your email. For those following this thread: The file properties shown are generic ones that Windows keeps for all files, so those don't shed any light on this particular file. I'm still investigating the DB file itself. It's not a SQLite database. Not sure yet what it is or its origin.

Normally, we computer professionals have to deal with LOST databases... not EXTRA ones! ;-)

--Marc

kwalsh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »

That db file is where windows stores all of the thumbnails of all the files in a directory.  It is used by windows to display the file thumbnails when you have it set to view thumbnails in explorer.  II grabs it just like any other file and renames it.  Normally you can't see these files in Windows because it filters them out for display, but once renamed you can see them.  You can see the thumbnails.db files in a directory if you go to the view options and tell windows to show hidden system files and folders.  The files only get created when you enter a directory that is in view thumbnails mode.

Ken

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »

Thanks for solving the mystery, Ken.

Adding "db" to the exclude list will prevent its ingestion.

--Marc

darren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 05:55:59 AM »

So reading this, once I have imported my JPEG files into iView, the XMP files are redundant and can be deleted?

I use DNG format now, but have a significant archive of JPEG images with XMP sidecar files that I could delete if so...

Cheers

Darren

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 09:58:32 AM »

Darren--

I'm not sure if the XMP files are redundant... I don't have a mastery of all iView ins and outs.

--Marc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: