Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New to GPS, any Canon Solutions
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 09:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  New to GPS, any Canon Solutions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New to GPS, any Canon Solutions  (Read 24876 times)
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 01:57:15 AM »

Wow, what can go wrong, will go wrong.  Upon arriving in AZ, I set both the cameras and the Garmin to local time, unchecked
Daylight savings time on the GPS, synched the cameras within seconds, took a photo of the clock on the GPS to use for matching
the camera time EXIF with the II GPS synch option.  3 days later I had a big track log and 3 4 gig cards.  The first card, with the photo
of the clock was garbled, and I had to use ImageRescue to get the files.  That program killed the EXIF /XPM data, leaving me with just
tifs and no data.  Now I have no GPS data for the files on that card, and no accurate way to verify that the GPS data is time synched correctly.
Real bummer.  What's the best solution here?  2am now, trying to put the pieces together so I have at least my photos, if not full GPS.
Brian
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 03:19:04 AM »

Ok, 3am now, but worth the effort.  Turns out the rescue program PhotoRescue is way better than
ImageRescue.  Photorescue will get the RAW files back, whereas PhotoRescue only gives you tifs
with no data.  So I have GPS data for the card that was garbled, except for the one photo of the clock
on the gps so that I could have matched the Camera time and GPS  time on ingestion.  Still pondering
a way to verify that gps data is in synch.
Brian
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 06:22:21 AM »

Brian--

That sounds OK as long as you know that the Garmin was displaying local time, which it sounds like it is. Presumably the display on the Garmin is the same as the display on local clocks.

When you ingest, make sure you tell IIP that the camera is set to Phoenix standard time, and all should be OK.

--Marc

Don B

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »

GPS is available via Canon's Wireless File Transmitter:  40d:  WFT-E3A, 1DMkIII and 1DsMkIII: WFT-E2A, using a separate gps unit, connected by usb.  I use mine on one of my 40d's, and have been very happy with the results, since the coordinates and elevation (meters, with no option to change to feet)  are transferred as part of the metadata into Lightroom  (1.3)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: