The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 04:07:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Useful Stuff
| |-+  DAMuseful Software
| | |-+  RapidFixer CS3 Requests and Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RapidFixer CS3 Requests and Discussion  (Read 18506 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 04:11:29 PM »

Ian,
Thanks for the thoughtful comments.  A few replies:

I got rid of Brightness, since Exposure is the preferred way to adjust general rightness.  I could add it back, but are you willing to lose something else to get it?  Have you tried using Exposure instead?  Brightness works more on midtones, so it does make sense to bring it back.

I'll make a smaller array, once I get a feel for what people want to leave out.  Which controls are you willing to lose?

There may be some solutions of the metadata panel thing, but it would be a new version of the software. (Go to Bridge Preferences>metadata and you can add Vignette and Saturation if you like.)

The missing box is puzzling.  I assume you are on Windows (t has not been reported on Mac, and does not show up this way on my Vista machine.)  What OS are you using?
Peter
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »

Peter,

Yes I'm on Windows (XP SP2).  CS3 also has the latest available updates in place.

After Brightness the Exposure was probably the second most used control.  It may be that I need to play some more with the new Recovery, Fill and Blacks to see what I can get to.  Another thing I've just noticed is that in RapidFixer it's Highlights but in ACR it's called Recovery - might be nice to keep naming consistent.

Which controls would I want to lose to fit onto a narrower screen?  Good question.  Vignette is something I've not used, so losing this wouldn't hurt me.  The HSL controls are new so need time to play before deciding.

Just noticed in the Camera Raw metadata that adjusting exposure puts in a rather accurate value e.g. 0.100000.  The 5 trailing zeroes shouldn't matter, but seems overkill!  If done via ACR it displays +0.10 i.e. the '+' sign is added.

The missing boxes are acting weird for me.  The correct (or most common) display appears to be a pixel wide grey line with a white pixel-wide highlight.  However my Orange HSL has had just a white line, at 2 pixels thick.  I've also see a 4-5 pixel wide grey line!  It does seem inconsistent, and always when first launching the script.  Hiding and then showing the menus seems to keep the same appearance, whether correct or not.  I don't think I've ever seen the lines around 'Settings' or 'White Bal'.

The one thing I've not done is a reboot since installing the script, so that may make a difference.  That will have to be tomorrow - or today as it here in the UK.

Thanks,

Ian
steveZ

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »

Is there a way to get the thumbnails to run horizontally along the bottom, with the RF controls down there?  And then have the preview pane open above that?  OSX

Steve Z
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 11:10:20 PM »

Steve,

It's possible and quick in Windows, so assume the same on a Mac.

Under the Window menu is a another called Workspace.  There are 6 default workspaces defined and the one you want is called Horizontal Filmstrip.  This shows the Content pane, with RapidFixer menus (if initiated and visible) at the bottom withe the preview pane above it.  The Favourites, Folders and Filters panes are on the left.  You can modify this layout to suit requirements and then from the same menus "Save Workspace..." and assign a shortcut key to get to it quickly.

There are also three workspace icons in the bottom right corner of the whole window.  Right-clicking on one of these and selecting a workspace from the list will allocate that workspace to the icon.  Left clicking on the icon will then activate the workspace.

Ian
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »

Ian,
I'll have Tom look at the script and see if he can figure out why the inconsistent appearance on some Windows systems.  I've looked over it, and did not see the issue, and it makes me wonder if this is another one of the undesirable inconsistencies of javascript implementation between Mac and Windows.

I've tried to be consistent with ACR as much as possible, but I really did not think that "recovery" is as quick to get.  I thought that Highlights, with an arrow showing them going darker, was a more intuitive UI.

Spend some time with the new controls - I think that RapidFixer may help to unlock some of this functionality for you.  Using Exposure, along with Hightlight recovery, and the parametric curves gives so much more control that the controls from ACR3.  You may not miss brightness after all.

And give Vignette a try.  Depending on what you shoot, and compositional factors, it can be a very powerful tool to change the dynamics of the image.

I end up using the HSL a lot - in fact, I'm ready to get more buttons built so I can add the other colors..

Steve - Ian's right, you can do this with workspaces.  I have my most common two workspaces set on all my machines - My FilmStrip and My Light Table.  I have set the filmstrip to run horizontal as you request, and keep all the info panels on the left. Screenshot attached.

steveZ

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »

teve - Ian's right, you can do this with workspaces.  I have my most common two workspaces set on all my machines - My FilmStrip and My Light Table.  I have set the filmstrip to run horizontal as you request, and keep all the info panels on the left. Screenshot attached.

I dont see a screenshot, which reminds me, when it is time for me to attach an image, i dont have that option in my "options".

Regards, Steve Z
steveZ

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

I've had some sporadic failure with the color temp slider, sometimes hitting 100 degrees bluer gives me bunches warmer, and there is no getting back.
Can't recall exactly when cuz other times ok.
Mac osx
Steve Z
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »

Ian,

Just wanted to let you know, I'm also on Windows and have not experienced the line problem you are referring to.  Problems like this are often times caused by quirks in the video card drivers.  Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your card.  I'm using an nVidia 8800GTS card.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 06:44:08 PM »

I got rid of Brightness, since Exposure is the preferred way to adjust general rightness.

I agree that Exposure is the most common way of adjusting brightness, but for most images I don't think it's the best way.

Here are the steps I most commonly use when adjusting an image in ACR:

1. Adjust white balance
2. Adjust exposure to minimize or eliminate clipping in the highlights without making image too dark.  If image is still too bright, I leave it this way for now.  Many times the image is too bright at this point because I intentionally shoot overexposed if possible for a more data rich image.
3. Adjust Highlght recovery if necessary
4. Adjust Brightness for general brightness control
5. Adjust Fill light, Blacks, and Contrast if necessary, usually in that order.
6. Re-tweak white balance if necessary

As you can see, the Brightness slider does play an important role for me. However, because I shoot over-exposed about 2/3 to one full stop 90% of the time, I compensate for this by knocking down the Brightness slider approximately one stop.  I have this adjustment as a part of my camera raw defaults; therefore it is built in and I don't really need it when RapidFixing.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:25:50 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »

Steve,
In order to use Temp and Tint, you first need to apply one of my presets (from the pull-down).  If you start with an image that is set to "As Shot" or Auto" there is no way to pass along the current setting to RapidFixer, so the results will be totally unpredictable.

Does that describe what you are seeing?
Peter
Brian Tao

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »

Just wanted to pop in to say I bought RapidFixer CS3 yesterday, and so far it has lived up to my expectations.  What would have taken me 20 minutes to accomplish before (readjusting a sequence of 450 images to all have consistently warmer tones) only took about a minute now.  10 seconds of that was doing the actual work... the rest was waiting for Bridge to update the thumbnails.  Grin

I also wrote a quick 'n dirty AutoHotKey script to assign quick keyboard shortcuts to my most-used adjustments.  Now my left hand can rest over the three left-most columns of keys on my keyboard, and have one-press access to temp, tint, exposure, fill and shadow adjustments.  Using the mouse to click on the tiny controls would slow things down too much.

I'll post it here once I've cleaned it up a bit.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »

Brian,
Thanks a lot for that.  Glad it's helping. I look forward to seeing the hotkey script.
Peter
Brian Tao

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »

I dont see a screenshot, which reminds me, when it is time for me to attach an image, i dont have that option in my "options".

Steve, is this the sort of layout you are looking for?  Default workspace #2 will give you this (see the little 1/2/3 buttons in the extreme lower right corner):

(click to zoom)
Brian Tao

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »

I, too, would find having a Brightness slider very useful.  I use it to bump up the midtones without clipping the highlights (which Exposure tends to do).  I use Fill Light much less often, since I find dropping the shadow clipping point from a default of 5 to 2 or 1 will usually give back just enough shadow detail without cranking up the noise.

Colour temp/tint and exposure are my two most often-used sliders, followed by brightness and shadow.  I have a preset that handles my Contrast, Clarity, Vibrance, Vignetting and Colour noise reduction (my CCVVC setting Wink), so I usually don't need to fiddle with that.  I usually don't play with the HSL sliders, but now that I've seen them in action in the RF video, I'll check 'em out. Grin
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 02:21:04 PM »

Brian,
Okay, I'll put the Brightness back in the next version.
Peter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: