The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Useful Stuff
| |-+  DAMuseful Software
| | |-+  RapidFixer CS3 Requests and Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RapidFixer CS3 Requests and Discussion  (Read 18495 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: July 31, 2007, 06:39:38 PM »

Please post anything relevant to RapidFixer CS3 here.  This can include bugs and anomalies, as well as feature requests.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:10:38 AM »

Peter,

Just finished ingesting and RapidFixing a nice sized collection of images I took while in Chicago last weekend.  I must say, I really like this new RapidFixer with CS3.  I'm seeing a marked improvement in performance with my new dual Core PC and CS3 Bridge.  It's really nice to just click through the thumbnails correcting them with very little latency.  To those on Windows, I definitely recommend sticking with Bridge 2.0 until Adobe fixes the cache bugs introduced in Bridge 2.1.

I'm running my monitor at a high enough resolution to accomodate four more HSL sliders.  I can fit two more across the top and two more across the bottom.  I'm running at 1800x1440.  I would recommend adding Red, Yellow, Green, and Purple.

One minor problem I'm still noticing with the Windows version; after making a Rapidfixer correction, I can no longer use the keyboard inputs.  I have to click outside Bridge and back in to restore it.  My workaround for this is to do my RapidFixing first with the mouse, then come back afterward to do my ratings.

Also, I want to mention that the Blue and Orange HSL sliders are a godsend for correcting sky and skin colors.  I used the blue ones on a few Chicago sky shots.  It was really nice and quick bringing out the blue skies without having to go into ACR.

For anybody wondering, Rapidfixer will definitely speed up your workflow.  For large shoots, it's the fastest way to create those quality proofs.  At this stage of the workflow that should be all you are concerned with.  Once the images have been rated and archived, you can then fine tune with ACR adjustments those select few images from which you plan to make derivatives.

Speeding up the workflow is what it's all about with DAM, and RapidFixer is a key element here.  Great job Peter.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:08:19 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Dawnne Gee

"Art is science made clear." ~ Jean Cocteau

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:09:42 AM »

I'll happily toss in my agreement here. The blue and orange HSL sliders are indeed lifesavers: with those two options alone I find I spend a lot less time in ACR. Since I got sick and had an injury earlier this summer and am behind on wedding processing, RF has definitely become a life-saver. For those, like me, who jumped on the Lightroom bandwagon despite some of its eccentricities, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised to re-discover working your photos in Bridge with Rapid Fixer.

Peter, the current setup at 1280 wide works just great on a 1600x1200 monitor running Google Desktop (which I find important to some of the other work I do). Like Dan, though, I do sometimes run the resolution higher: up to 2048x1536, so more HSL sliders would be fine as an option for me, too. You know me, it'd be DREAMY if i could pick and choose which ones, but that's just the incontinent beta-tester in me speaking out of turn. ;-) You're welcome to consider it a feature request, along with an option to start Bridge with a selected RF display mode automatically, as discussed elsewhere.

FWIW, I agree wholeheartedly with Dan that for large shoots, Bridge/RF is truly the best way to go. I even unscientifically timed it. In comparing processing between two similarly-sized weddings lately (one was 1,350 shots, and the other was 1,337), my time in Bridge/RF per Peter's workflow (before kicking out the DNG's) was just slightly more than half the time spent in the modified workflow for Lightroom to get to the same point.

Thank you Peter and Tom for such an incredibly helpful toolset!

~ Dawnne Gee
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 04:28:39 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  Your experience is similar to mine.

Dan, as to returning Focus to the thumbnail, we tried to do it, but there does not seem to be a way to send Bridge's focus back to the thumbnail.  So that makes it a mouse-driven process for the forseeable future.

As to the additional HSL buttons, I think I may get Darren to make me a set for every color, and then we could decide which would be useful for the smaller arrays.  You might need a 30 inch monitor just to see them all, however.

How are you guys finding the Hue increments in Blue and Orange HSL? I was thinking it was too big a move.
Peter

Dawnne Gee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »

i've not had to use blue too terribly much. the orange increments could be a smaller, yes. i think increments/decrements of 5 would be fine for most things. if i have to fine-tune beyond that, i'm in ACR already! thanks!

~ Dawnne Gee
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:47:45 AM »

Peter,

Not so sure about that one.  I think given the purpose of RF as a macro (not micro) proofing tool where the focus is on speed (not perfection), and since you're only offering one increment in either direction for Hue, I think I would place the priority on speed and lean toward the larger increment of 10 in this case.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Dawnne Gee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »

to be honest, Dan, i could pretty much go either way. i've simply noticed after using it on four weddings now, that 10, especially for non-strobed outdoor shots, tends to be a bit much. this could also be a by-product of my default templates (i have around four dozen for each camera, lol) doing a little more than they need to in some cases.

so all that to say, i could go either way. for me, the .jsx is tweakable, so if i don't like the way it ships, i can change it. probably, the consensus is that 10 is fine, so it probably should be left there.

~ Dawnne Gee
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:02:10 AM »

Dawnnee,
I'd say that I probably agree that 10 is too high.  While it's a proofing tool, as Dan suggests, I was finding that it was moving the color a little more than I wanted, particularly for skin tones, which is the intended use.

I'll back it down and see what people seem to think.

As you point out, it's not hard to tune up, for people who are not afraid to dive into Javascript.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 07:39:27 PM »

Peter,

I haven't actually tested the orange with the skin tones.  I was using the blue witth the sky.  I can understand where skin tones would be more sensitive to hue.

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 08:50:39 PM »

And the hue moves for sky look okay to you?
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 04:56:30 AM »

Peter,

The +10 adjustment for hue seemed fine on the few skies I have done.  My current thinking with skiy color is it's not like skin color in that it can vary more in color depending on the artist's taste.  I actually read an article a while back (can't remember where) where it talked about how our eyes are much more sensitive to changes in skin color than any other color.  I don't think that same sensitivity applies to skies.  Skies vary allot in color throughout the day as color temperature changes.  That's my current thinking anyway, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on this.

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »

Dan,
That squares with what I have seen.
Peter
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »

I had purchased RapidFixer for CS2 a good year ago, and I guess I missed the boat for the CS3 version.
How would I get that, or do I need to purchase it again?
Thanks,
Brian
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:21 AM »

Brian,
Alyson will be getting it out today.
Peter
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »

Peter,

Received the RapidFixer CS3 Update today and have been playing!  Thanks for the good work.  I have a few questions / comments...

Where's the Brightness adjustment gone?  In the CS2 version this was probably the adjustment I used the most, up or down a notch to suit.  If there's a reason why it's missing could you explain?

Why only the 'wide' option? My monitor is 1280 pixels wide and as I like to keep the Metadata pane visible while 'fixing' it means I lose some of the features on the right hand side.  I can set a new workspace to get around this, so not a showstopper, just inconvenient.  However if my laptop was powerful enough to cope with CS3 then I would not have this workaround, as the screen there is only 1024 wide.

As I have the Metadata panel visible I was wondering why, in the Camera Raw section, the values for some of the newer items are not displayed. For example I can't see the 'Clarity' value without opening in Camera Raw.  'Saturation' is missing but 'Vibrance' is there.  I would find it useful to quickly know the values that make a particular image work so that I can use them as a starting point for next image.  This is obviously a Bridge issue and not with your script!

From looking at the Bridge CS3 JavaScript Guide I know this is not possible, but maybe you can influence Adobe!  You display the menus at the top and bottom of the screen (the only possible positions according to the docs).  I take more pictures in portrait mode than landscape so with RapidFixer visible this reduces the available working area quite significantly, with wasted space on either side of my image.  If Adobe allowed left and/or right menus then the controls could be stacked on top of each other, and my preview would not be shrunk significantly.  I realise this would look messy!  Of course I could get a bigger monitor, but I'm saving for a more powerful laptop!  I could also rotate my monitor (one day I'll try this) but then the screen would be narrower still and I'd lose even more of the controls from the right hand side!

As a I get paid to develop banking systems I tend to quickly notice cosmetic issues with screen layouts etc.  I've noticed that some controls have lines around the correct group of buttons.  This keeps the look neat and tidy.  However I noticed some controls don't have these lines.  On restarting Bridge I then noticed that the controls without lines had changed.  Where 'Blue HSL' was missing the line it is now present, but has disappeared on 'Clarity'.  On restarting Bridge again the line has gone from 'Blue HSL'.  It's still missing from 'Clarity' but now also from 'Blacks' and 'Contrast'.  While it is purely cosmetic it does highlight inconsistent processing within Bridge - something I don't like to see!

Thanks again for the good work.

Ian
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: