Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Surprised at fragility of .lrcat file
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 11:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Surprised at fragility of .lrcat file
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Surprised at fragility of .lrcat file  (Read 3204 times)
Charlie Dunton

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »

I just had my first experience with the fragility of the Lightroom database file. Lightroom was open, but not in active use when the lights flickered for a microsecond. But, it was enough to restart my Mac and toast the LR cat file. I would have expected something like that if I had actually been writing to the cat file, but I didn't expect it when it was just sitting there open. Maybe I had a very unrealistic expectation; maybe I was just unlucky and normally everything would have been alright, but I'm not wanting to try again to find out.

Fortunately, I do backup with each launch (well, with almost each launch, but I'll not skip that again) so all it took was pulling over the backup from last night and then reimporting 100 or so files from a shoot today. I hadn't had time to do anything with them, so the whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

I will say, the dialogue messages were very helpful and specific about what to do to recover ASSUMING you have backups.

It now seems that an Uninterruptabe Power Supply is no longer just a nice to have item. And, I should probably shut Lightroom down a lot more frequently than I have up until now.

The last really surprising thing about all of this is that after reimporting todays shoot, I couldn't find a menu item in Lightroom to backup the catalogue file. That was REALLY surprising. I had to quit and restart just to back up the work. Maybe I just missed the command?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: