Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Converting 1 large folder to smaller folders for archiving
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 11:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Converting 1 large folder to smaller folders for archiving
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Converting 1 large folder to smaller folders for archiving  (Read 5971 times)
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »

Since LR enables you to select images by date and other metadata, I had all my images (about 2k at this point) imported into one large folder, realizing too late that it would be difficult to archive these to DVD.  I had only been backing up to an external HD.  Within LR, what would be the best way to split this up into bite-sized buckets for archiving?

If I create subfolders in LR, will the images actually be moved on the HD too?

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »

anyone?

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:41 AM »

Mike

As you are on a Mac, I would use Finder for this. Providing the files remain on the same drive, Lightroom/Mac can track where the files have gone. Test it first.

I would also put in a feature request for LR's folders panel to indicate the size of folders.

John
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »

Yes, I'm on a Mac. So basically I have to manually 're-folder' the images into buckets of some sort.  and yes, a folder size in LR would be helpful.  I'll put in the request.  Thanks John.  I just wanted sure if there was a hidden feature for this.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »

Mike,
This is one of those places where iView is still ahead of Lightroom. (And even far ahead of using the finder).

If you have a copy of iView, I'd index the files with it and do the move.  It's *much* easier.

If not, then use the finder.
Peter
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:15:12 AM »

Thanks Peter.  Somehow I knew that iView would handle it... guess I'll be using Finder.

Roger Walton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 08:26:09 AM »

If I've understood your question correctly, then why not use the new "Export as catalogue" function in LR 1.1?
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »

Interesting... haven't really looked into that.   Will that allow you to retrieve the images with another program other than LR, or to simply copy back the images to HD?

Randy Sailer

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »

I just had to start on a new bucket and, after figuring out the sizing in the finder, I did the folder creation in LR (Library/New Folder: this also can recognize new but not LR folders). From there, just drag the required sub buckets into the new folder in LR. Very simple (other than the manual folder calculation).

Randy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: