Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Em and iview both crashing
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Em and iview both crashing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Em and iview both crashing  (Read 12719 times)
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »

I just got my new super-duper computer (windows XP) and I am trying to get CS3 and ivew running. Previously I only used a trial of iview, but I purchased it several months ago and jsut now loaded it. So I went ahead and did the upgrade thing to EM.  Every time I try to import a folder the program crashes. I have both programs on my machine and both programs crash. I haven't a clue what to do. The Microsoft website is hopeless. Help, please!!

Susan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:10:44 AM »

Susan,
Probably a problem file.
Can you import any files, one at-a-time?
Peter
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:22 AM »

Peter,

I tried importing from various folders and various types of files (NEF, jpeg, PSD, TIFF). The best I could do was sometimes I could import ONE file, but when I tried to import a second file it crashed. (I have to mention that now I am back with iView because I thought it was an EM problem, but this was happening on EM, too. Both crash)

a veyr distraught Susan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »

Both programs use Quicktime to access the files.  I wonder if this is the problem. 
Do you know what version of Quicktime you have installed?
Peter
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »

I did see on another Forum that there were compatability problems between some versions of iView and some versions of QuickTime. I have the latest iView, which is 3.1 and latest Quicktime which is 7.1.6.

Susan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »

Susan,
So no resolution?
Peter
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »

Peter,

Thanks for checking in. No solution after working almost 24/7 on this. Well, I'm exaggerating. I took Sunday off so I wouldn't have a complete nervous breakdown over this.

I FINALLY got authorized this afternoon, Monday, for the iView forum, which I registerd for on Thrusday. I had to ask 3 times to get authorized after registering; and someone named Simon Street, who has been kindly emailing me from iView sales got me authroized after iIasked him. I never heard from the website's adminstatror. Simon has been dilgently emailing me, but not very helpfully, about my problems. I emailed someone else about my problems who answered an error report send to Microisoft that I submitted today. He told me about the free iView tech support and gave me the link.  I had been on that page previously but did not see the tech support button.  The page on iView is VERY confusing. There are big icons for upgrading your software and in a tiny space at the bottom is a button for tech support...I feel dumb, but this was not obvious - the page seemed to be all about upgrading. The ExpressionMedia support takes you to Microsoft and you have to pay $99 to email a question.

Anyway, I did email to iView support this aftenroon and got an automated response that they got my message..

ALSO  I loaded by iView program/disc version 3.01 into my husbands' computer with XP and Quiktime 7.01 and did not upgrade to newer versions and I was able to import an entire folder of images from my computer networked to his.  This makes me wonder what's up with my compuiter. Do I have the wrong versions or are the various upgrades of various programs not compatible???  I have newly installed CS3, which I have been using.

I am so discouraged I cannot begin to desribe it.

I surely hope the iView tech support can help me................. Cry

Susan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »

Susan,
I think this must be a problem with your computer, but I am at a loss to tell you what it is.  Try upgrading your husband's computer - it should work fine.

You might need to reinstall Windows on your machine.
Peter
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:08:54 AM »

HERE'S WHAT IVIEW SUPPORT TOLD ME TO DO.   IT WORKED!!  NOW I HAVE TO RECOVER MY SANITY AND BEGIN TO LEARN THE PROGRAM.  BUT WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH QUICKTIME?HuhHuh? AND WHY DID I HAVE IT?

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your query.

Could you please do the following:
1) Start the QuickTime Player.
2) Click on the "Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences..." menu option.
3) Switch to the "Advanced" tab.
4) In the "Video" section, click to activate the "Safe Mode (GDI only)" option and click on "OK".

Verify if Expression Media or iView MediaPro3 now works correctly. If it does, then you have a problem with QuickTime and your current video drivers. Expression Media and iView MediaPro3 depends on QuickTime for rendering and anything that affects QuickTime adversely will also affect Expression Media or iView MediaPro3.

Let me know if this has worked, and if we can close this case.

Regards, Goncalo. 
iView Multimedia Support Team.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 05:06:19 AM »

Susan,
Glad that the problem was found.
While Quicktime is generally problem-free on the Mac, it's harder on PC, since it has to interact with third-party video cards and drivers.

If you want to learn iView, my videos might be of help. I'm out of the studio this week on vacation, so we can't send them out, but you could subscribe to Lynda.com and see them that way.

Peter
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 05:15:21 AM »

FURTHER EXPLANTION

I got the following message from iView. BTW, I just got a new Dell XPS 710 comuter which has this incompatible video card in it. I think this is the standard new fast video card.

> Dear Susan,
>
> This is issue was caused by your video card drivers.
>
> Which graphic card are you using? We have had numerous reports of
> people who are using nVidia video cards and have updated to the latest
> drivers.
>
> You could either rollback the video card drivers to the previous
> version, or you could use QuickTime in Safe Mode for the time being,
> and wait for the
> latest video driver release.
>
> When QuickTime is running in Safe Mode, it will not take advantage of
> the graphic card acceleration. Other than this, it will run as normal.

HERE'S HOW TO RUN QUICKTIME/VIDEO CARD IN SAfE MODE

> Thank you for your query.
>
> Could you please do the following:
> 1) Start the QuickTime Player.
> 2) Click on the "Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences..." menu
> option.
> 3) Switch to the "Advanced" tab.
> 4) In the "Video" section, click to activate the "Safe Mode (GDI
> only)" option and click on "OK".
>
> Verify if Expression Media or iView MediaPro3 now works correctly. If
> it does, then you have a problem with QuickTime and your current video
> drivers. Expression Media and iView MediaPro3 depends on QuickTime for
> rendering and
> anything that affects QuickTime adversely will also affect Expression
> Media
> or iView MediaPro3.

I hope this information helps someone else.

Best,
Susan

grahamR

grweb@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 07:37:26 PM »

wow wow wow Thank you so much susan!

i hit "wits end" a little while ago with this very same issue - used it as a reason (along with the EM release) to really put lightroom through its paces with my workflow, and have since been rekewording and a location-ing everything. Even though i think ill stay in lightroom, this will make my back-catalog work MUCH faster - thank you for posting your findings here.

-- Graham
CDRNorth

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »

Hi Susan,

Thanks alot, I was getting ready to reformat my computer and re-install XP Pro! I am glad that I checked the forum before doing so. I am now up and running.

Cliff
Big-T

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »

Grin
Susan, although you are a stranger to me, I could kiss you! (so could my team and wife). Here I am a practicing workflow newbie (photography is easier for me) and read Peter's book of course, and purchased the iView software only to have it crash whenever I did any kind of import function. Like many others, I have hundreds of GBs of images to get catalogued and organized.

Thanks to you and Peter's forum I was able to get iView 3.1.2 to run by selecting the 'safe mode' in QuickTime. It may not be ideal but at least the program is working! I have yet to hear anything from iView from almost a week ago and they have not even registered my account for their forum, making it basically impossible to even talk with them. Unfortunate.

Now, peter, I have to review all my workflow notes and strategy as suddenly I have content to catalog. Best suggestions on learning iView? I see you do have some video tutorials but am wondering if they cover iView deeply? Of course, there is the manual, but come on Wink

Thanks again for getting me started.

Big-T
(Thomas)
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »

Big-T,

All kisses gladly accepted - no one is really appreicated enough are they?  If you can now figure out how to rollback the video card for Quicktime, please let us all know.  Adobe ought to be able to explain this. I gave up at that point, but koiw I need to do it or I amloosing acceleration.

MAKING GREAT IMAGES IS THE EASY PART!!

Best,
Susan
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: