Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Any way to ingest select range of images, instead of the entire card?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 01:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Any way to ingest select range of images, instead of the entire card?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any way to ingest select range of images, instead of the entire card?  (Read 5417 times)
arossphoto

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »

I'm just getting started with demo version of IIP on my new Mac, and I'm making the transition from Windows where I used Downloader Pro. I was pretty happy with that application and would probably have continued using it if it was available for Mac. One thing I really liked that I don't see in IIP is that DLP would display a list of the files on the card with the renaming changes applied so I could confirm that everything was how I wanted it prior to ingesting.

If there was a feature like this in IIP I would have saved a lot of time playing around with macros, because I made several test ingestions only to realize afterward that I was using the wrong macros. I later discovered the Macro Lab, which helped clarify how things work, but a simple list of the files to download with the name changes would be much simpler. I also use a job code in my file name, so it's nice to see a quick visual verification that I have applied the right code before I start ingesting.

DLP would also allow me to select certain images to download instead of always downloading the entire card. This could be useful in certain situations. For example, yesterday I had a job in the morning and after the shoot I came home and dowloaded the files and also backed all the images to a firewire drive.

However, I was in a hurry to leave for another shoot in the afternoon and the 4gig card I used in the morning still had about 2gigs of space left on it, so I opted not to format the card and used it again on the second shoot.

So now I have a card with some new images on it and some images that have already been downloaded, and I would like to be able to select the new images only for download.

I've been reading the manual and I don't see any to do this. Any advice?

Cheers,

Andrew
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »

Andrew--

No selection in IIP, but the new version (2.3, now in beta) has the ability to ignore duplicates, in case you ingest from a card that contains previously ingested images.

--Marc

arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:44:20 PM »

Thanks Marc. Are the beta versions stable enough for regular usage?
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:11:43 AM »

Beta versions are generally less stable than final versions, so you should check your results carefully. Right now, the site has two beta versions for each platform: One that's been posted for several weeks, and is quite stable, and a newer one that's not been field tested as much.

As of now, there haven't been any significant bugs reported in any of the betas.

--Marc

arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:09:01 AM »

Thanks again Marc, but I was reading about the ignore duplicates feature and it doesn't sound like this will help in my situation. If I read correctly it only ignores the dupes if they have identical names, so if I use a job code in the file names and change it from the first download to the second, all the images would be downloaded again.

I honestly prefer the way Downloader Pro works and it provides me with much more control over the downloads. It would be nice if you could implement a similar feature in II.

Don't get me wrong, II seems like a great product and has lots of useful features, but I still think DLP has a few advantages. I also like it's Directory Maker plugin which allows you to create any number of folders, even if they are outside the download directory. I use this to create my derivative file folders that I use for every job I do.

Thanks again for your replies.

Andrew
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »

Right, Andrew... I'll think about as a possibility for the future. Certainly just displaying the names, and not going into the complexities of showing thumbnails, would be very straightforward.

--Marc

Charlie Dunton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 03:59:16 PM »

As another ex DownLoad Pro user turned Mac Pro user, I'll second Andrew's request for partial, selected ingestions. And no, thumbnails are not important, at least to me. Maybe DLP shows thumbnails now, but it didn't when I jumped platform back in August. Just the date/time stamp would be great.

Thanks, Marc. Wonderful program.

Charlie
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: