Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media - xmp files show in catalog
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 02:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media - xmp files show in catalog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Expression Media - xmp files show in catalog  (Read 14890 times)
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »

I downloaded the Expression Media "upgrade" the other day. I just opened a folder of .CR2 images, with xmp files. The xmp files are showing up in the catalog. I looked in preferences for a way to avoid this, but didn't find one. I'm on OS X. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm normally not much of an anti-Microsoft ranter, but this acquisition is pretty depressing so far. Have you guys seen the splash screen? Ugh.

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:37 PM »

There is a way (at least on Mac) to get rid of the splash screen altogether - in the application's resource folder, kill "MediaSplash192.png".

Have you looked at Catalog Importers? It sounds like they include xmp files.

John
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 10:07:43 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion--I did remove the splash screen (and now I'll probably make my own to replace it).

I checked catalog importers but didn't find xmp's listed.

What's happening when I import a folder of CR2 files, is I get the xmp files in their too, including thumbnails (the thumbnails look like a text file).

Caro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:37:28 PM »

There is a way (at least on Mac) to get rid of the splash screen altogether - in the application's resource folder, kill "MediaSplash192.png".
Any idea how to kill the splash screen in Win XP?

---
Caro
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 12:38:57 PM »

No, I did look.

John
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 03:39:46 PM »

I tried importing a folder with NEFs and xmp sidecars into a new xMedia catalogue on OSX - couldn't repeat the problem.

John
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

I just tried importing a different folder, where some of the xmp's showed up, and others didn't. The ones that are showing up have generic text icons in the finder (not in Expression), the xmp's that are not showing up in my catalog have Bridge icons (the blue and white icons are the CR2 files; every other file is an XMP sidecar--both the ones with text icons and the ones with red and white icons):

Hmm, I'll try processing these folders with Bridge and see if I can figure anything out. I recently upgraded Bridge to 2.1.0--I wonder if that could have anything to do with this.

One more thing: when I import the same folders into IviewMP, I don't see any xmp sidecar files.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 11:13:42 PM by jimtron » Logged

dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 12:47:52 AM »

I get the same response here. With Expression Media xmp's show up with nefs, iView on the other hand no xmp's just nefs.

Dexter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:57:19 AM »

What's strange is that Catalog Importers had all categories ticked, so I would have expected this to happen here too. I'm not as confident about Mac as PC, but might it have something to do with your Mac thinking xmp files are pictures? if you double click one in Finder, what program does it use to open an xmp file?

John
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »

what program does it use to open an xmp file?

John

Photoshop CS2 in my case.

Dexter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 01:08:57 AM »

So what if you tell the Mac to open xmp files in Text Edit? Then try to import a folder into xMedia.

John
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 01:17:26 AM »

John,
       Same response. I did Get Info - Open With - Text edit. xmp and nef shows up in EM.

I did try an import from Files/Folders and set the Import Criteria - Name contains: nef. This gave only nef thumbnails.

Dexter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 01:29:12 AM »

Dexter

Did you restart xMedia? That might refresh its criteria for importing images. IIRC I dragged the folder into the catalogue - I don't know if that meant it worked differently from Import from Files/Folders. Since I can't replicate the problem, I'm clutching at straws here.

I guess the thing to do is throw this open to a wider Mac audience, here and at iView's forums.

John

dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 01:32:49 AM »

John,
       I did restart EM. Also, dragged the folder of images as well as Import. We'll see how it plays out. The workaround for now doesn't bother me.

Dexter
showard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »

This is not a unique problem  I have the exact same problem with xmp's showing up.  I have explored the settings, tried dragging, and even tried an import from a menu.  I am very interested in this thread too.

Not only that, but what is frustrating me more, is I can't even find a Help option, or manual download on the website.  I am seriously thinking of moving back to Extensis.  And I use both Mac OX-X and Windows.

Steve
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: