Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Can metadata be exported from Expression?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 03:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Can metadata be exported from Expression?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can metadata be exported from Expression?  (Read 5108 times)
billseymour

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:51:15 AM »

The other Q wished to get verified re Expression is: can metadata be exported out of Expression in accordance with DAM book principles? (my guess is YES, otherwise surely someone's head would have exploded in a post on this forum by now)

The Expression manual I examined talks of Sync Annotations on p47. Is this the way metadata is exportable, ie, by writing it to original files? I was also unclear from the language of the Sync Annotations as to whether they were qualifying this capability in some important way. Or is everything OK re exportability, and I just don't know all the jargon.

Thanks. Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:58:18 AM »

Yes, it's iView with a slightly different skin. If it wasn't for the Windows bugs I've highlighted, I would be happily using it. 

John
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »

Good. So if one goes iView, then wait out the debugging, as many have suggested.
Thanks John (and Roberte, in the other thread where I asked about Expression)
--Bill
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 01:42:32 PM »

A perhaps newbie question (relating to both iView and Expression):

I perform Sync annotation (I did this in iView I am testing)-
How can I 'see'/prove that the metadata (here, keywords were added) is in fact embedded in the original file?
(This may be blindingly obvious, but sometimes you can't see the digital forest for the ...)
Thanks, Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »

One way is to look at it in Bridge - File Info, Advanced tab - or just import the image into a new catalogue. Alternatively, open up the image in a text editor  and search for the text you entered.

John
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 02:05:17 PM »

John- I tried this, hasn't worked so far. I assume I am doing something incorrectly.

JPEG image in catalog1-
-I add keywords 'marbles' and 'color' into keyword field
-I do Sync annotations, and I Save the catalog

In catalog2-
-I import (from the iView file-import items menu) my JPEG image in catalog1
-I use Info to examine the imported image- I do not see my keywords in the imported file.

I will keep experimenting- just thought I'd run through my steps, in event you see a misstep.
Bill
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »

Continuing (my) tradition of solving my own problem publically-

I ran through the sequence again, did the import (of JPEG that had keywords, label, and rating added, synced) into catalog2- and yes, I see that keywords, label, and rating all were carried by the file when it was imported into catalog2.

Good! Bill
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: