Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
advice on organizing folder and files?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 12:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  advice on organizing folder and files?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: advice on organizing folder and files?  (Read 8535 times)
arossphoto

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2007, 08:28:55 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up my shiny new Macbook Pro (my first Mac Grin) and I'm looking for a little general advice on the best practices for setting up an organized structure for folders and files. Obviously I'm interested DAM related stuff, but I'm also interested in general feedback about issues related to filing documents, etc.

For example, a very basic question is where do you put your "WorkingFiles" folder? Does it go on the Desktop, in the Documents folder, or in your Home folder, in Pictures, etc?

I suppose it doesn't really matter where you put stuff, as long as it works for you, but I'd like to get started on the right foot with a system that will keep me organized and my new Mac Desktop clean and uncluttered.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Andrew Ross
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »

Andrew,

You can put your "working files" on your desktop, documents, or pictures folder if you like. TIP - After you've decided on a location, open a Finder window (File Menu - New Finder Window) and drag the "working files" folder to the sidebar. An alias is created allowing you to faster access the directory.
          If your only computer is the laptop then I suggest a firewire 800 7200rpm drive to work from. The reason being is you'll soon fill up the disc space on your internal laptop drive, and or fragment the drive by deleting large files and so forth. You may have read that the MAC OS has auto-defragmenting which, while true, is FILE fragmentation for file sizes of 20MB or less. The MAC OS doesn't handle DRIVE fragmentation.
          Invest in a good backup utility, directory utility and file utility. I recommend Super Duper, Disc Warrior and Tech Tool Pro. If you've read Peter's book you'll know just how many backups you should have with sound file integrity.
          All in all working off an external drive for DAM will give more flexibility in my opinion.

Dexter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »

Andrew,
I keep my Workong flder in the root directory of the hard drive (in Mac-speak, in the main hard drive) not any of the pictures or other user-based folders A coupe reasons:

1. Since the User folders (Desktop, pictures, documents, etc) are "owned" by the user, sometimes you get permissions problems if you try to open the files with another computer.

2. I keep text document sized stuff in the Users directory, and back these up separately from the larger, more transient image files that move through the Working folder.

Peter
arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »

Thanks Peter. That makes a lot of sense. While I was searching for tips on setting up my new Mac I also found a series of articles called Five Steps to a Kinkless Desktop. If anyone here has a desktop full of icons you may find it a worthwhile read as well.

http://kinkless.com/article/kinkless_desktop

Cheers,

Andrew
rskoss

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 02:14:29 AM »

Thanks Peter. That makes a lot of sense. While I was searching for tips on setting up my new Mac I also found a series of articles called Five Steps to a Kinkless Desktop. If anyone here has a desktop full of icons you may find it a worthwhile read as well.

http://kinkless.com/article/kinkless_desktop

+1.

I did that to my desktop last week. Threw out all kind of crap. Now I'm moving things over from the dumping ground known as the documents folder to a new, organized, Archive folder.
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:59:15 AM »

I keep my Workong flder in the root directory of the hard drive (in Mac-speak, in the main hard drive) not any of the pictures or other user-based folders A coupe reasons:

1. Since the User folders (Desktop, pictures, documents, etc) are "owned" by the user, sometimes you get permissions problems if you try to open the files with another computer.

Files created at the root or user directory have identical owner permissions (drwxr-xr-x). A difference occurs in their group permissions. Files created at root basically have another layer of ownership (admin) which, may be practical for single user environments but is not recommended practice for multi-user environments.

Peter is there any other reason you work this way? I'm trying to understand because I've had no issues opening my files from other computers, even outside of my LAN.

Andrew I don't have a ton of icons on my Desktop (about 4 or so), but each one clearly uses up a chunk of memory. I didn't notice any speed bump from reducing the number, given the small number I had to begin with. I suspect that if your desktop is cluttered with icons and folders, cleaning the desktop will result in a speed bump.

Regards,

Dexter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 10:00:23 AM by dexter » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:20:24 AM »

Dexter,
I've seen the permissions problem before, but it was repaired successfully.
What is the issue with the multi-user environment?  (None of my computers have multiple users on them, so I have not investigated this.)
Peter

arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:28:47 AM »

Files created at root basically have another layer of ownership (admin) which, may be pracital for single user environments but is not recommended practice for multi-user environments.

So where would recommend placing your Working Files folder?

Andrew I don't have a ton of icons on my Desktop (about 4 or so), but each one clearly uses up a chunk of memory. I didn't notice any speed bump from reducing the number, given the small number I had to begin with. I suspect that if your desktop is cluttered with icons and folders, cleaning the desktop will result in a speed bump.

I wasn't really concerned about speed, although that is probably a nice side benefit. I just want to get started on my new Mac with an organizational structure that will keep my workspace uncluttered and efficient.

Cheers,

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:31:13 AM by arossphoto » Logged
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 09:36:37 AM »

Peter,

Other admins will basically have write access to these files which may or may not be a feature you would want.

Regards

Dexter
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:07 AM »

So where would recommend placing your Working Files folder?

Andrew,
          In my opinion Peter's workflow is better because it removes any permission issues. Just note however other admins wil be able to modify these files.

Regards

Dexter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: