The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  JPEG looks different from RAW
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JPEG looks different from RAW  (Read 6870 times)
ahelg

View Profile Email
« on: June 03, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »

I recently exported 5 pictures from Aperture of plants. They were all D70 Raw files and I exported them to jpeg. I then imported these files into iPhoto on a different account on the same computer, and to me it seems the colours on the pictures are bit washed out. Should there be a difference between the colour of the RAW files and the JPEG's?
pvonk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »

I don't really know about the iPhoto vs. AP color issue, but in the Lightroom forums, the usual explanation for color differences between a LR image and an exported jpg is monitor calibration.  Have you calibrated your monitor?  Oh, another frequent reason is a corrupted monitor profile.

bushfoto

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:13:44 AM »

Sounds like you're exporting the file into different color spaces. Go to Export presets and check what color space you're using for each of the file formats.

Charlie Bush
piratejabez

tanuki86
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

I think color spaces OR monitor calibration could easily be the issue. Make sure both accounts on your computer are set up with the same color profile, and try to figure out which color space Aperture is exporting to (perhaps try sRGB for most flexibility)

Cory
gardenphotography

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »

IMHO I know why it is so in Lightroom and it will be the same in Aperture.

JPEGs processed using camera color processor and the colors are great. RAW have a JPEG inside which Lightroom shows for a second so the RAW looks the same but then the colors are fades and this means that Lightroom (or Aperture) read RAW data and tried to represent it how they feel they should. Mostly Nikon do better job then Lightroom, so the colors of JPEGs or TIFFs are better then RAW in these converters.

Sasha
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:43:43 AM »

Garden (name?)
You're right that each rendering engine will preform differently. the new Lightroom and ACR have a profile that much more closely matches the manufacturer's profile.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: