Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Using IVMP to convert DNG to high-res TIF
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2020, 06:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  Using IVMP to convert DNG to high-res TIF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using IVMP to convert DNG to high-res TIF  (Read 4784 times)
robcar

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:26 AM »

I use IVMP "File Conversion" a lot to covert DNG files to JPG for easy emails, powerpoints, etc. I love it's speed and convenience.

I am tempted to also use this function to convert  DNG files to high-res TIF files for high end use (like magazine and book publishing) as it's easier and faster than going through a PS action.

Is there a quality difference?  I can't see it if there is one. 

I know that File conversion through IVMP uses the large embedded preview as the source and not the actual raw data and that concerns me.

Thanks,
rob

piratejabez

tanuki86
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »

Rob-
You have a right to be concerned; there is a difference in quality, for me anyway. The embedded preview, even at full size, is already highly compressed. I also love the Convert File option for (small output) sharing my photos with clients and friends, but would never use the DNG preview (which iView has to convert & compress AGAIN in conversion) for a final image for high-end use (unless it were absolutely necessary). I usually just bite the bullet and batch convert my higher-rated images using Bridge or PS.

Hope that helps,
Cory
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:39:01 AM »

I agree with Cory, generally.  Not so much because the compression shows up (make your own tests on Epson prints and see how much difference you can see), but becase for high-value work like magazine publication, I think you should do a more careful, custom preparation than one does in Camera Raw. Localized sharpening, localised color and tonal corrections, etc.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:36:50 AM »

Rob,

I'm kind of on the fence with this one.  I'm seeing Raw editing making some big strides forward.  The new ACR 4.1 now has more sharpening capability and a clarity control.  You can also do some semi-localized color adjustments with the new Hue, Saturation, and Luminance sliders.  For those images that I really don't see needing any specific localized adjustments, I think I'm comfortable delivering them batch converted; however, I still individually edit those images in Camera Raw, and I have a good working knowledge of Raw editing.  It will be nice though when the DNG preview finally supports more color spaces, such as AdobeRGB, or ProPhotoRGB.  To me, that is the biggest deterrent right now for batch converted delivery from the DNG.  Of course, if the images are going to press, you will need PS for the CMYK conversion and soft-proofing.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:49:59 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:02:08 AM »

Dan,
I agree that the trend points very clearly toward a day when many people will be happy to only do parametric edits (ACR, Lightroom, Aperture, C1Pro) , and won't need a Raster Image Processor (Photoshop).

As you point out ACR 4.1, with new sharpening etc provides a suitable image for many kinds of uses.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »

Of course there is no substitute for PS when it comes to special effects like Soft Lghting, Gaussian blurring, or correcting keystoning; but it is nice to see Raw editing continuing to make big strides forward.

I think I would like to see another option added to the DNG converter that allows the user to select a working color space for the DNG preview.  Then if Microsoft would incorporate a color engine into Expression Media and add an option to the Convert Image Files dialog (and the other Convert commands) that would allow the user to select an output color space for the proofs; I think that would be a nice addition to the DNG spec.  We could then catalog all our DNG previews in a working space like AdobeRGB.  With the advances being made in Raw editing, I see this as a way for the DNG spec to take advantage of this.  In otherwords, I think the DNG proof may be getting good enough now to warrant its own working color space for RGB delivery.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:22:30 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 09:09:51 AM »

Dan,
I agree.  Let's hope we see that in a future version of the spec.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: