The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Iview Media Pro or Bridge CS2 / CS3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Iview Media Pro or Bridge CS2 / CS3  (Read 2318 times)
hsakols

View Profile Email
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:47:22 AM »

I'm getting ready to completely rebuild my photography web site.  At this point all my images are large files from medium format film.  I don't make thousands of images a year like most digital photographers but will probably start using a digital slr in the next year or so.  At the moment I'm using a PowerMac G4 1.25 with 2 gigs of RAM.  Yes it is a little slow with the large files but I will wait until absolutely have to upgrade.  At the moment I use Photoshop CS.  I'm not sure if I would be better off upgrading to photoshop CS2 or CS3 and use bridge or buy Iview Media Pro 3 / Expressions.  I'm looking for a relatively quick way to generate web portfolios and am not interested in individually sharpening each generated JPEG.  Its tempting just to buy a new Mac with Aperture but I read that this application really is best for RAW processing.   Any insight would be appreciated.  Lastly I understand that Iview is now Microsoft and that expressions will take time to develop.

Hugh
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:08:12 PM »

Hi Hugh,

It depends on your HTML skills. iView is much easier to customise and has reasonable documentation on how to do it. For me Photoshop is very difficult - but not impossible. While you can no longer buy iView there are some copies floating around on Amazon, etc. Register it before 30 June 2007 and you will get Expression Media free.

FWIW Lightroom web galleries are the most difficult to customise, and v1.0 will run like a snail on a G4. However Lightroom may just be the better long term investment for a DSLR user.

hsakols

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »

Robert,
Thanks for your reply. Yes my G4 is slow especially with my large film scans.  I'm asking these questions because I'm wondering if it is time to upgrade to a duo core machine.  If you were using a fast machine with large 6x9 700 Meg. files would you opt for aperture or stick with iveiw.  I can get an educators pricing for aperture being an elementary school teacher.  Furthermore, my html skills consist of cutting and pasting what I like.  Lightroom is out of the question because of the file size limitations.  I must upgrade my website soon. I have prints that are selling at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: