The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Lightroom Update Coming Soon!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom Update Coming Soon!  (Read 7483 times)
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:55:41 AM »

Ok, so Tom Hogarty was at Scott Kelby's seminar in Boston today and gave a brief preview of version 1.whatever. First and foremost, he wouldn't preannounce the release date, but said "it's coming very soon". Here's what I saw:

- They're doing away with "libraries" - now they're "catalogs". You will have the ability to import and export catalogs. Options include whether or not to include a copy of the original source file and the previews. This will make it easy to move images from one computer to another.
- Sharpening is very much improved. You have more sliders to adjust amount, radius, etc. and also some type of mask function that Tom didn't really demonstrate well (or I just didn't get it - which is absolutely possible).
- There is also a new "Clarity" control in the Basic section of develop which Tom explained as a large radius unsharp mask that adds some punch and really makes your image pop. They were thinking of naming it the Punch control and I could see why. He showed a before/after shot using the Clarity control and the new sharpening and it was awesome! Kelby said he would now give his blessing to LR sharpening after dissing it in his book and the seminar!
- Full size previews in DNG's. And, you can update the DNG whenever you choose.  Ok, so I didn't actually see this one, but I specifically asked Tom about it after the seminar and he confirmed it was there.
- You can now group and categorize Presets in all the modules.
- You can also edit and delete presets.
- They're replacing the Stamper with something called Spray Paint, which will allow you to apply keywords, rotation, and flags (and possibly other settings) across multiple images by clicking and dragging it across images in the Grid view.
- People liked the panel end markers so much that they've added a bunch of them to choose from and made it easier to apply them. There's one that is called tattoo which was developed after some German guy at Fotokina told Hogarty that the name of them meant Ass Antlers. Think of a babe with a tattoo above her butt.
- New camera support.
- And, since Tom said all of these really should have been included in V1.0, the next update is obviously free.

Rick
Win XP Pro, iView MP3, Canon 20D, DNG
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:37:23 AM »

Glad some people can talk about it - Peter and I are under NDA's.

John
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »

Glad some people can talk about it - Peter and I are under NDA's.

Exactly why I posted it John - it must be killing you guys.   Luckily Tom decided to show up for this seminar to give the first public look at it. 

Rick
Greg Cutler

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »

any updates about lightroom being able to handle larger format pictures and scanned images?
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »

any updates about lightroom being able to handle larger format pictures and scanned images?

No, sorry.  Anything Tom covered is in my original post with the exception of the fact that there is still no soft proofing in the update, which was a question posed to him in the informal Q&A afterwards that I only caught the tail end of.

Rick
seanmccormack

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:41:42 PM »

I feel your pain John.

Scott did a long post detailing a lot of stuff, but it has been scaled back: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »

I feel your pain John.

Scott did a long post detailing a lot of stuff, but it has been scaled back: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog

I'm sure Scott, as with you Sean, John and Peter, knows more about the update than what he posted, but that's the extent of what Tom let on yesterday in Boston so the rest of us will have to wait for the official release of the update.   Embarrassed

Rick
seanmccormack

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:22:52 PM »

I'm sure you noticed loads of things not mentioned too!
Anyway, it'll be with us 'soon'.
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:22:24 AM »

I'm sure you noticed loads of things not mentioned too!
Anyway, it'll be with us 'soon'.

That's the one problem with these sneak previews, it's never 'soon' enough once you've seen the product!!  Grin

Rick
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 03:37:40 AM »

That's the one problem with these sneak previews, it's never 'soon' enough once you've seen the product!!

That's why I never say "soon" - the beardy line is it'll be out "before long".

John
seanmccormack

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 06:55:41 AM »

If I remember right you saw previous sneak previews too. Was it the Beta 4 sneak preview?
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:35 AM »

If I remember right you saw previous sneak previews too. Was it the Beta 4 sneak preview?

No, not a sneak preview of beta 4 just beta 4 once everyone else got a crack at it.  I may have heard about it ahead of time from others and posted info in one of these forums though.  Good memory Sean....

Rick
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »

Sean - Wow, I didn't know what you meant because I had seen Scott's full post at some point before I read yours and thought that's what you meant by the scaled back version.  I guess Adobe didn't like him posting that when he is under an NDA.  Good thing I'm not!   Grin

Rick
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 08:39:24 AM »

DPReview has an announcement about ACR 4.1, including a screenshot that shows a new slider for "Clarity".  The update is announced but not yet available.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07052901adobecameraraw41.asp

There's also a post about this, with Thomas Knoll confirming that the update will be for Photoshop/ACR and Lightroom.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=23413957

No release dates yet, for the update to ACR or Lightroom.

Ian
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 03:29:34 AM »

ACR v4.1 out now, as is an update to Bridge CS3. LR still to follow
Chris Bishop
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: