Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expressions Media - how to proceed?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 02:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expressions Media - how to proceed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Expressions Media - how to proceed?  (Read 20395 times)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 11:08:17 PM »

Lightroom, hands down:  .... good web stuff....

I'd scratch that comment, Frank. If one of your main criteria for a DAM is web output, LR is fine for outputting web pages in the two built-in formats, and you can tweak the colours and layout to some extent. However, if you intend to produce customized pages such as Peter shows in the book, then LR Web's underlying XML/XSLT architecture is very significantly more difficult to customize than iView's HTML token based system. It requires a very different skill set, with a much longer learning curve, and with few WYSIWYG editors available. It's an intellectually-interesting solution, but not the best choice for the user.

John
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17:29 AM »

John,
Actually, I meant to say if a person has $200 to spend on photo software (DAM, editing, etc.0.   I don't disagree with you on that functionality -- I've found iView to be slow and buggy on my setup (PowerPC) so I haven't used it past the cataloging.  In any case, as others have noted, it really depends on the individual and their needs.   My set up, for example, does not require multiple computers (just external backups).  Also, I'm placing a high premium on a "one-stop shop" for most images -- if I can get an excellent RAW image editor that meets my basic DAM needs, in lieu of a robust but buggy DAM program that requires me to also coordinate with a third party RAW converter/editor, I can spend less time on the IT components of all of this.  Lot of value in that.  

And I have a much higher degree of confdence in the upcoming Lightroom upgrades and their timing v. iView/EM (LR will get the upgraded DAM, new ACR, sharpening, etc. long before EM comes out with its bug fixes; and LR will always be tied to their upgraded ACR, etc.)   Finally, third party developers haven't even started releasing plug-ins yet and that will further fill in any gaps.   Given how efficient Lighroom is at cranking out images I'd say that even people that plan to continue with iView/EM might benefit from having LR too -- so I see a LR investment as a low-risk ("hands down") decision.  In any case, the above and other options are pretty much enough for me to recommend (as a relative newbie, tis true) that anyone who is just starting out with DAM might want to wait before plunking down $130 clams on iView/EM in their current form.  I plunked my cash down for iView back in January, catalogued everything, and took the "sit tight approach waiting on the new release -- and I regret it.

Dierk,
I absolutely agree with you regarding iMatch.  I would have made the jump months ago if not for the fact that i'm on a PowerPC Mac.  

Frank
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:25:47 AM by frankgindc » Logged
carlbowser

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »

To say that there are no issues with iView Media Pro, is not quite correct.  A long-time user of iView I recently ran into a file size limitation that the people at iView readily admit.  After a few days of trying to find out why I could no longer import files into my master image file, I began a dialogue with someone at iView.  He (Goncolo) admitted a 1.8 Gb file size limit and that I try working with multiple master files.  It seems to defeat the purpose of having such, and, although I know there are workarounds, I've been frustrated in trying to get the files to work in Expression Media.  Unable to open the previous iView file for adding MORE images, I've begun to encounter the many flaws in Expression.  One of the main problems is that my weeks of work indexing, keywording, and sorting my 39,000 image seem to no avail, and I face redoing the whole thing over.  

Of all my many years of working with many mac programs of all types, I've never encountered one as buggy as this, and this is a DATABASE program.  I fear updating my metadata files on my master images, not knowing what Expression would do with them.  

One forum member, Rick McCleary, suggested Peter Krogh may have some workarounds, and if you're reading this, Peter, I'd appreciate any information you can provide on ways to work with multiple master files.  Personally I find "workarounds" distasteful, in that they reflect problems that should have been fixed before Microsoft's rush to release this sub-beta project.  I suspect the good people at iView are wondering about their wisdom of selling to Microsoft about now.  Prior to this it's been a good product.

Carl
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 04:56:13 AM »

Carl,
Carl,
iView does have problems, and this is one.

I keep larger databases of images by building my thumbnails to a lower quality.

Try this. 
Change your thumbnail preferences in the Edit menu.
Select a number of images
Rebuild items.

You should see your catalog shrink in size.

Quality of Thumbnails appears to be more important than pixel dimensions.

Since your catalog is so close to the 1.8 GB limit (which is an aggregate limit of both the current catalog size, and the cached changes that are unseen), I suggest that you save often until you have gotten yourself some more headroom.

Let us know if it does not work.
Peter
Ron Berlier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 12:07:50 PM »

Hello John,

I received another email regarding my free upgrade today. The interesting part is that it did not indicate that there was a firm time deadline on the offer. I'm wondering if since there are known problems with EM the upgrade is being left open ended until problems can be resolved?

From my perspective there is absolutley no reason to make the upgrade to a product that has problems with it. If the free upgrade time limit should pass and the product has not been fixed, then, oh well, if I want the "Fixed" version I guess I'll have to pay for it. Platfrom is WINXP

What are you're thoughts here?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:16:40 PM by Ron Berlier » Logged

Ron
"Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste"
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 01:30:35 PM »

Get the licence number and do not install MEM ATM. Simple.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »

I'd agree with Dierk except I'm telling people to get the PC and Mac licence numbers, just in case you move over.

John
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 11:41:03 PM »

You mean, it is possible to move from the Dark Side to Windows? ;-)

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Ron Berlier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »

Only if you have a good flashlight.   Grin

Ron
"Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste"
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: