The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Ideas for Further DAM Development...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ideas for Further DAM Development...  (Read 2701 times)
John Slemp

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2005, 08:10:21 AM »

Hello Peter!
   Well, I've pre ordered your book and am waiting with "baited" breath.  I've always wondered what "baited" breath is, but I suppose that discussion is for another time...  Anyway, while I was ruminating on how to get my DAM act together, it occurred to me that while I am thrilled with the new software coming to market, I'd really like it if it did more, from a business management perspective.  Allow me to elaborate...

While it seems that these programs coming to market have become quite mature at organizing files, I as a business owner am also a manager.  As such, once these files are all "organized", what do I do with them?  As it is becoming increasingly common for many of us to seek alternative revenue streams, through multiple on-line stock outlets, fine art sales, etc., I'd like to be able to easily and quickly determine which images have been placed with any one of several agencies/galleries, etc.  This is where the DAM programs could really improve, in my opinion.  

My ideal DAM program would allow me to track an image, internally, but I'd also like to be able to cross reference my library and create a list by agency.  I'd like to be able to select an image, and designate it for "assignment" to one sales outlet, or multiple outlets, as necessary.  Then a folder could be created that allows me to burn a disc, by agency, for their next submission.  

I'd also like to be able to track the sales of that image, over time, and to create reports that allow me to determine sales by various criteria (keyword, category, client, dollar amount, etc.).  

It would also be terrific if the DAM program had, as an integral component, a copyright module that would "walk" a photographer through the process of registration, before it ever leaves his/her hands.  As electronic registration creeps closer to reality, a great DAM program would handle that task seamlessly.  Specifically, the forms (with instructions, perhaps ASMP's Copyright Tutorial?) are included in the program, they can be filled out and completed in the program (as PDF's), jpegs that meet the deposit requirements are generated, and it all comes together when your credit card info is securely entered into the program, and the whole packet goes electronically to the US Copyright Office.  Of course, the registration data would also flow seamlessly into the image file.  It should also be set up so that, at a minimum, registration is completed every 90 days, if not more often.  This too should be flexible.  Now THAT would be a huge leap forward.

Additionally, the program should have the flexibility to create different workflows that are "saveable".  In other words, if I like to bring my files in first, rename them second, back up third, etc. then that workflow can be saved as "Slemp 1" for example, much as an individual's workspace is saveable in Photoshop.  But if another workflow is desired, for example another user is accessing the program, then another workflow can be employed by simply choosing their saved workflow.  These should be modifiable as necessary, and it would be great if you could "lock" the program into a particular workflow.  Human nature being what it is, many times we need to be structured so that a particular workflow is established, and then followed without deviation.  This could help a business owner manage employees (or himself) who may want to deviate from established workflow "policy."  

That's probably enough for now.  I really am looking forward to reading your book, and refining this process.  Let me know if i can help...

All Best,
John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 11:38:55 AM »

John,
Your requests show a very good understanding of the challenges ahead.  I, too would like most of what you are asking for, and will be pushing for them in the near future.  A couple of things.

First things first.  Get you collection under control.  Get a current workflow down that uses metadata to organize, that keeps your images safe, and lets you find and keep basic track of the most valuable ones.  Once you have that down, then you can work on the other stuff.

>>My ideal DAM program would allow me to track an image, internally, but I'd also like to be able to cross reference my library and create a list by agency.  I'd like to be able to select an image, and designate it for "assignment" to one sales outlet, or multiple outlets, as necessary.  Then a folder could be created that allows me to burn a disc, by agency, for their next submission.

This part can be pretty easily done by using Catalog Sets in iVew.

>>I'd also like to be able to track the sales of that image, over time, and to create reports that allow me to determine sales by various criteria (keyword, category, client, dollar amount, etc.).  

That's a bit tougher, and probably overkill for the individual photographer (except one who has a LOT of images with many different stock houses.)  This kind of info should probably come from the stock house itself, and integrating that data automatically will be a challenge.

>>It would also be terrific if the DAM program had, as an integral component, a copyright module that would "walk" a photographer through the process of registration, before it ever leaves his/her hands.  As electronic registration creeps closer to reality, a great DAM program would handle that task seamlessly.  Specifically, the forms (with instructions, perhaps ASMP's Copyright Tutorial?) are included in the program, they can be filled out and completed in the program (as PDF's), jpegs that meet the deposit requirements are generated, and it all comes together when your credit card info is securely entered into the program, and the whole packet goes electronically to the US Copyright Office.  Of course, the registration data would also flow seamlessly into the image file.  It should also be set up so that, at a minimum, registration is completed every 90 days, if not more often.  This too should be flexible.  Now THAT would be a huge leap forward.

Agreed.  Should not be too hard to implement.

>>Additionally, the program should have the flexibility to create different workflows that are "saveable".  In other words, if I like to bring my files in first, rename them second, back up third, etc. then that workflow can be saved as "Slemp 1" for example, much as an individual's workspace is saveable in Photoshop.  But if another workflow is desired, for example another user is accessing the program, then another workflow can be employed by simply choosing their saved workflow.  These should be modifiable as necessary, and it would be great if you could "lock" the program into a particular workflow.  Human nature being what it is, many times we need to be structured so that a particular workflow is established, and then followed without deviation.  This could help a business owner manage employees (or himself) who may want to deviate from established workflow "policy."  

This will require an integration between the RAW file processor and the DAM software.  Not available now, but I am pushing for this one too.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:43:50 AM by peterkrogh » Logged
John Slemp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »

Hello Peter!
   Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps if we keep feeding the developers ideas, they will eventually become reality.  Another idea I had this morning was sent to the folks at Apple, who recently unveiled their DAM program, Aperture.

"Would it be possible to have the image license field tied to a calendar date alarm, such as in iCal, so that as the license deadline approaches, it would automatically trigger a reminder?  That way the license holder could notify the client to discuss a license extension.

This too would be a very nice/useful/marvelous/logical feature.  I know that my stock agent here in Atlanta is looking at Aperture, and she'd give her first born to have this feature included in the program..."

They seemed to like this idea A LOT...

Thanks for your efforts.

All Best,
John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: