Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How to get sidecar info into JPEGs?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 10:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  How to get sidecar info into JPEGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to get sidecar info into JPEGs?  (Read 3859 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 25, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »

Marc,

Can you tell me how to get the sidecar info embedded into my JPEG's.  LR appears to ignore sidecars for JPEG's.  Is there a way to tell IIP to go ahead and embed the metadata for JPEG's rather than creating a sidecar?  Thanks.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Photo_op
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »

Dan/Marc-
Can this also apply to embedding into RAW (Nikon, Leica) with regard to LR?

Dave
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »

Dan,
I think that Marc is probably against touching the JPEG files for religious reasons. (The sanctity of the file)

In a recent conversation, he told me that, IIRC, iView will apply the sidecar data but Bridge will not.

I agree that this part of the workflow needs some improvement.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »

Peter,

I guess that's great, if you happen to be using third party browsers and catalog managers that support JPEG sidecars; however, not too many do?  If Marc is against touching the JPEG original, I think we at least need a separate Windows and Mac utility that will do the merge.  Maybe Marc would be willing to create one that could be spawned by IIP, similar to the way the DNG Converter is spawned.

Dave,

I do definitely believe in the sanctity of the Raw image via sidecars.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »

Peter & Dan--

The thing is, right now IIP never writes into an image file, so if anything goes wrong, I know it wasn't IIP that did it. But, maybe there is a compelling reason to write into the image. After all, lots of other apps do it. I'll put writing IPTC data into the JPEG on my list of suggestions.

I'm not a very religious person. ;-)

--Marc

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:31:45 AM »

Peter & Marc,

iView's "Convert Image Files" does the trick.  I can use that for now.  I just create a temporary catalog and drag the JPEG's with sidecars into it, then export via "Convert Image Files".  I then backup and re-catalog the merged JPEG's as my new originals.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:34:04 AM by danaltick » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: