Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sony (Cybershot) GPS Device
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 09:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  Sony (Cybershot) GPS Device
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sony (Cybershot) GPS Device  (Read 33307 times)
LizardMartini

View Profile Email
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:30:39 AM »

I have just ordered a Sony GPSCS1 GPS Device for about $100. I have a small Sony cybershot, but it sounds like it can be adaptable to photos taken with other cameras (I also have a Canon). It sounds like this device might do most of what you are talking about in this thread.

Reading the manufacturer's instructions, apparently you just turn it on when you are shooting (will last 14 hours on a set of batteries) and it will take GPS readings every 15 seconds. Later, when you are uploading your photos, it will add the gps metadata to the closest time. And yes, you will have to make sure that your camera and device are time-synced, but I hope that happens when you connect to the same computer. Any yes, if you are traveling in a jet, 15 seconds off will cause some error. But it does seem like a simple enough of a device to work. It also comes with software to help you map your pics on a Google map.

I think we are either ahead of the curve (wanting geotagging) and/or the manufacturers are slow to catch on how useful this can be. When I tell people about this possibility in my office (urban planners) they get very excited about that. And I think cool mapping abilities with that information is yet to be developed.

Cheers -- Liz
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:09:45 AM »

Liz,
There are a bunch of fields where this will be essential information. Urban planners like you suggest, architects, engineers, science, geography, anthropology, law enforcement... the list goes on.

I'm hoping for lots of solutions in the near future.  I'll look at the sony.  Let us know how it works when you get it.
Peter
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »

Landscape photography ...

Friday night I was out - admittedly in a town I know quite well, particularly the west side - shooting our TV tower [there will be a gallery shortly] from various positions. With Lightroom's [hopefully others follow suit, some nice guys like John Beardsworth have already done some work] ability to directly connect to GoogleMaps it is very easy to get an overview of the photo position. Even better, instead of trying to convey in words where I stood and what I have done to colleagues, I just show it to them semi-automaticallly.

We are at the edge of the breakthrough of a technology, or better: the combination of various technologies. As is often the case, it is not obvious what the real use of this is but we come up with new uses every day. I love to be living in interesting times ...

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
gsvenningsen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:35:13 AM »

Any yes, if you are traveling in a jet, 15 seconds off will cause some error.

I often bring my GPS on airplanes, just for fun to see where I am. However, I have noticed that I must place the GPS very close to the window to get proper signal strength (my GPS does not have a SiRFstar III chipset). Sometimes the signal is just to weak.
Reinoud van Leeuwen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »

My Sony GPS-CS1 arrived yesterday. After some googling (with the help of a friend) I now use this:

gpsbabel -i nmea -f WG20070405100210.log -o gpx -F log.gpx

(convert the logfile from NMEA format to GPX/XML format)

gpsPhoto.pl -gpsfile log.gpx --dir fotos -timeoffset -7200

(put the GPS coordinates in all the photos in the directory ./fotos with a time offset of 7200 seconds (that is correct for the Amsterdam timezone)

I think I will write a little wrapper script around this that puts the GPS tagged foto's after succesfull injection into the LightRoom 'watched' folder so they are imported automatically into LR. (and do some clever things with the names of the logfiles and move them around too). I am also looking for a webservice that searches for the country and citynames based on the coordinates so they can be put into the IPTC info as well. But until now the ones I tried sometimes come up with a neighbourhoodname instead of a city name.

gpsbabel and gpsPhoto are open source tools, easily found by google. To get gpsPhoto working on my mac I had to install some Perl modules. (Easily done with the Darwin ports: sudo port install p5-xml-expat , sudo port install p5-xml-parser, sudo port install p5-image-exiftool in a terminal window)

Is there a way I could put a script like that into the ImageIngester (pro) workflow somewhere?
danpen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:33:21 PM »

The Sony isn't the best GPS around but it is really convenient, I use Downloader Pro from Breezesys and it uses the logs on the GPS to tag the files automatically as it downloads them to the PC.

It's just no effort, as long as the GPS was on when the photo was taken and connected to the USB port when the photo is downloaded it works.

I'm afraid I can't be doing with anything more complicated, it just wouldn't happen unless I was in the mood.

cheers

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:50:39 PM »

Dan,
can you get the GPS data into Raw files with the Breeze software?
Peter
danpen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »

Peter,

Not directly, it creates xmp files.  The next stage in my workflow is to convert to DNG and the GPS data gets embedded in the actual file then, it can trigger the DNG Conversion on import (using the commandline DNG Converter).  I've just started using Lightroom and convert to DNG on import.

cheers

Dan

Jean-François Schmitz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:53 AM »

I'm using RoboGEO which can  geotag DNGs. There was a small glitch that made those GPS EXIFs in DNGs hidden in IVMP, though they were visible in Bridge (was OK with JPGs). Looks like this is now solved in the lastesty version (5.0.19). See also this thread in the IVMP forums.

So I tweaked my workflow to add a geotagging step right after conversion to DNG, when needed. I just adopted Breeze Downloader Pro, and need to check if/how I could further integrate the steps.

I don't use the Sony device. While it is a bit more cumbersome, I prefer to stick to my Garmin 60CSx receiver which has SiRF III, and gives me lots more flexibility. The drawback of course is that it is bulkier.

Edit: just a question for curiosity  Wink How do you synchronise the clocks of you camera and the GPS device? It doesn't seem to from, from the pictures I've seen that is has a display?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:15:19 AM by Jean-François Schmitz » Logged

--
Don't dream it!
David
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 05:51:18 AM »

(put the GPS coordinates in all the photos in the directory ./fotos with a time offset of 7200 seconds (that is correct for the Amsterdam timezone)

Hi

Is this the only mac based software that puts gps coords in images that you know of?  Are you putting the GPS into DNG's? or JPGS?.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:03:40 AM by David Mackie » Logged
danpen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:55:50 AM »

I'm using RoboGEO which can  geotag DNGs. There was a small glitch that made those GPS EXIFs in DNGs hidden in IVMP, though they were visible in Bridge (was OK with JPGs). Looks like this is now solved in the lastesty version (5.0.19). See also this thread in the IVMP forums.

So I tweaked my workflow to add a geotagging step right after conversion to DNG, when needed. I just adopted Breeze Downloader Pro, and need to check if/how I could further integrate the steps.

I don't use the Sony device. While it is a bit more cumbersome, I prefer to stick to my Garmin 60CSx receiver which has SiRF III, and gives me lots more flexibility. The drawback of course is that it is bulkier.

Edit: just a question for curiosity  Wink How do you synchronise the clocks of you camera and the GPS device? It doesn't seem to from, from the pictures I've seen that is has a display?

The GPS gets it's time from the Satellites, the camera gets plugged into the PC every now and then and Downloader Pro synch's the camera time to the PC.  I really don't need it to be split second accurate as the GPS only logs it's position every 15 seconds.

cheers

Dan

Jean-François Schmitz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »

The GPS gets it's time from the Satellites, the camera gets plugged into the PC every now and then and Downloader Pro synch's the camera time to the PC.  I really don't need it to be split second accurate as the GPS only logs it's position every 15 seconds.
Didn't notice that functionality of Downloader Pro yet... but I'm only using since a short time  Wink It does however rely on your camera being hooked up to the PC every once in a while, which I never do...

--
Don't dream it!
danpen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:21:41 PM »

The GPS gets it's time from the Satellites, the camera gets plugged into the PC every now and then and Downloader Pro synch's the camera time to the PC.  I really don't need it to be split second accurate as the GPS only logs it's position every 15 seconds.
Didn't notice that functionality of Downloader Pro yet... but I'm only using since a short time  Wink It does however rely on your camera being hooked up to the PC every once in a while, which I never do...

Neither did I but it only takes a few seconds, probably slightly less time than scrolling through the menus to do it on the camera.

Reinoud van Leeuwen

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »

Hi

Is this the only mac based software that puts gps coords in images that you know of?  Are you putting the GPS into DNG's? or JPGS?.

Thanks

It works for me so I haven't looked ant further
The perl scripts can write the GPS tags in lots of formats (at least NEF, JPG and DNG but I think some more)
David
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 06:08:23 AM »

I am new to perl ( I know what it is but that is it).  I cannot seem to install the perl scripts. I downloaded and installed Darwin ports and also expat

Do I need a C+ or ++ compiler to install the perl scripts? I just get errors.

Thanks
David
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:19:31 AM by David Mackie » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: