Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Buckets and DVDs
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2020, 01:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Buckets and DVDs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Buckets and DVDs  (Read 5466 times)
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2007, 11:09:29 PM »

I'm wondering how to arrange my files into buckets when downloading, or after the fact.

It seems that one approach is to create buckets the size of DVDs, and then burn one DVD per bucket. I'm considering using ImageIngesterPro, but it doesn't appear to create a bucket that holds 4.6 GB of files (to match a DVD), then create a new bucket.

Also, I'm wondering how much value there is in creating buckets of DVD size. I suppose that one value for me in having buckets of limited size is that when I open a folder in Bridge, I don't want it to have thousands of images which require inordinate amounts of time for Bridge to build a cache, etc. In the past I manually downloaded my CF cards (2-4 GB) and created one bucket per card. But because I'm shooting wildlife and may have to delete many/most of these files, the buckets can end up much smaller.

Rather than match my buckets to DVD size, is there software (Windows) that will take a large quantity of files, burn to DVD until it fills, then pause and ask me to insert another DVD? Is there any problem with doing it that way?

I guess I'm confused about the best approach to buckets. Do I create them at the point of image ingestion, or do that later?

Ralph

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:16:03 AM »

Ralph,

You should only burn a bucket to a DVD once it is full.  Within those buckets should be job folders containing your images.  You only have to open the job folders in Bridge that you are working on.  Buckets are an integral component of the DAM workflow along with good catalog management.  I highly recommend that you read through the book carefully.  It answers allot of these questions for you.  It's important to get a clear picture of the DAM workflow from start to finish.  If you can afford Peter's tutorial DVD's, they are invaluable when it comes to seeing the workflow in action.  Hope that helps.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I've read the DAM book several times (although perhaps never very well  Undecided).

Perhaps I've been unclear about which buckets get created when. If I understand Peter's workflow, all files start as working filles, which are also immediately backed in raw form; but these are "temporary" backups until the files are archived.

Eventually, the files are ready to be archived. At that point, they are put into folder "buckets" that can conveniently be the same size as DVDs, so that part of the archiving can inlcude burning each bucket to a DVD (as well as hard drive backups).

I'm inferring that Peter creates archive files slowly enough that it takes some time to fill a bucket over several jobs or clients. One possible difference in my workflow is that I photograph wildlife on extended trips, so I return to the office with 20-100 GB of raw files. (Also, I suppose I'm dealing with two issues: how to handle all my shoots from now on; and how to rework my 50,000 raw files into this system.)

In practice, I just bought a new DVD burner and 100 Delkin Archival Gold DVDs. My existing files are in folders of widely varying size (in the past I sometimes made one folder per 1-2 GB card; other times I consoldated these into much larger folders). I started moving files around to new folders sized to match DVDs, but I'm finding this to be a slow and labor-intensive process. (It doesn't help that IVMP on Windows XP "moves" files by copying them and then deleting the originals, which is painfully slow and inefficient.)

Perhaps I should be looking for Windows software that automatically copies a large quantity of files to DVD, and if several DVDs are required I'm prompted, each time one fills, to put in a new one. I'm not sure how much I care if my hard drive buckets match up one-to-one to DVDs, as long as I know which DVD a given file is on? I'm not sure of the practical ramifications.

Ralph

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

There are Windows back-up programs that can span multiple DVD's. However, that is not the way to go. Create a bucket leabelled DVD_001. Move your folders (1*card size or more) under that name until you are at about 4gb +/-. Create the 2nd, DVD_002 move the next group of folders under that name, and continue. There is no other way. If you are new to DAM, then do this outsidethe DAM software, then create a new catalogue to capture the files in their new position. If the files are RAW convert to DNG, if they are DNG run them through the DNG Converter (Adobe s/w foc) to check for corruption (I've read your other post). It is going to take time, but a lot of the conversion could be while you are away from the screen.
Chris Bishop
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »

Ralph,

There is nothing to prevent you from spanning multiple DVD's if you are able to find software that does that.  To my knowledge, neither Nero Burning ROM nor Roxio's Easy CD Creator allow you to do that.  Even if you did find software to do that, I would be cautious about using it.  Make sure that the format it archives too is standard folders and is readable by the O/S without the need for special reading software.  Also, as Chris alludes to, from a management standpoint, you will find it beneficial to have sequential numbering of your buckets as your archive grows.  It will make it much easier to correlate your primary and secondary archives with each other as well as with your DVD's.

If you are shooting this many photos on the road, I'm assuming you are backing up those cards each evening to a laptop with an external harddrive.  If you are in a postion to do that, I certainly would recommend it.  When you do these backups on the road, I suggest creating your buckets then.  If you are unable to do this, then I recommend ImageIngestorPro.  It will automatically divided your folders up based on an image count that you specify.  Just figure out your worst case file size such that file_size times number_of_files is less than 4.4GB.  You can then rename the folders afterwards to RAW_nnn, or DNG_nnn.  You can even create a single subfolder underneath this with the jobname if you wish.  For large shoots, there is no substiture for IIP.  Even if the files have already been downloaded to your PC, you can still run them through IIP to partition them; and if you're planning to archive them right away without any RAW adjustments, IIP can run them through the DNG converter at the same time.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:32:53 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »

Ralph,
As Dan and Chris state, you can span a single shoot over multiple buckets.
Some of my shoots end up spanning 11 buckets in DVD form (which represents 75 GB or so of NEF files).  Others can give you advise on utilities that can help you find utilities that can assist in dividing images up in the directory into appropriate size chunks (as Dan and Chris have suggested).

Although it's   bit of a pain up front to get this done, it will continue to pay you back in terms of simple and direct correlation of the primary archive to the backup copies.

Hopefully future versions of iView can have the same efficient file system management that it has on Mac.  I don't think this is too much to wish for.
Peter
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:22:09 PM »

Archive Creator will span multiple DVDs or CDs, prompting you to put in the next DVD. The latest version has some new features, one of which can distribute files into DAM buckets, where you can configure your own bucket size. There's also an iView plug-in for archiving to DVD.

Rod
Langsey

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »

Archive Creator will span multiple DVDs or CDs, prompting you to put in the next DVD. The latest version has some new features, one of which can distribute files into DAM buckets, where you can configure your own bucket size. There's also an iView plug-in for archiving to DVD.

Rod

Rod,

Are you using Archive Creator? If so how do you like it? Is it worth getting? I looked at their website it looks promising. I like that you can  you can span over multiple DVDs. Now I have to calculate or drag the files in Nero to make up a disk. Any other users of this program.

John
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »

John,
I've found Nero to be faster for burning the cds. I have an older version of Archive Creator that I used to use for backing up while on the road and it was convenient to use.
Wish I would have noticed this new version before I spent a bunch of time just recently splitting up my original files into bucket sized folders. Oh well.
I've decided to just stick with filling the folders until they get close to the DVD limit and then burning the backups. It's pretty easy to keep track of the folder size in iView so I just keep an eye on those as I'm bringing in new images.

rod
AlanDunne

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »

John,

I use ArchiveCreator (AC). It works very well as advertised. And I have recently started using the built in facilities to inter-work with IVMP. Again, I find no flaws.

I do not really use it as its author's envisioned, however. Like Rod I manually fill up my buckets. Watching the bucket size to stay within the DVD limit is not too onerous. Also for me the DVD's are not the ultimate archive per say. They are part of a 3 copy strategy as outlined in the DAM book. My primary archive is "live and local" and I use removeable HD's in an external bay for backup of the archive (and backups for working files, etc as) and I store those "off site" (fancy description for not in my house). The DVD copies of the archive represent the copies stored on "write once" media.

Where I use AC for its disk spaning capability is for preparing delivery CD's (I use CD's not DVD's for some delviery purposes). It does this very well and you can include a basic web gallery which acts as the index to the disk set. It is very useful for some people.

Cheers ... Alan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: