Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ImageVerifier - new image verifying application (free beta for Mac)
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 11:02:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  ImageVerifier - new image verifying application (free beta for Mac)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: ImageVerifier - new image verifying application (free beta for Mac)  (Read 8157 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 03:15:58 PM »

Peter--

There's a database in the version you have. Choose Tools-Results and you'll see it.

Comparing two drives is very doable... I'll see what it takes to put that in. I think maybe there should be a panel to assign folders to mirror sets, to indicate that they are supposed to be the same. Then IV could check that they have the same files, in addition to checking that the files were valid. That sounds like a very natural extension IV's capabilities, well within its scope.

Changing the database gets involved in some usability issues. It needs to be clear whether database records what happened from the run, or what the result should be. Maybe I need two separate tables. This will require some careful thought.

Putting any apps the user desires on a menu would be easy enough. But invoking a tool just because there were invalid images seems like a stretch... I wouldn't want the user to think that a particular result implied that a certain problem was the cause.

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 05:19:03 PM »

>There's a database in the version you have. Choose Tools-Results and you'll see it.

already been looking at it. Very helpful, even in the early form.

> think maybe there should be a panel to assign folders to mirror sets, to indicate that they are supposed to be the same

Yes, please.

>putting any apps the user desires on a menu would be easy enough. But invoking a tool just because there were invalid images seems like a stretch...

Actually, I was thinking of slaving IV off of iView, rather than the other way around.  So I could have a catalog of my drive, and I would have iView check for missing items, and then access IV to run on the Drive/DVD/Bucket.  This would require putting some hooks in IV so that it could be controlled by scripts, right?  Is this hard to do?

And the other idea would be to have IV launch a disk utility before it runs its integrity check.  So I would point IV at a drive, it would launch DiskWarrior and perform the check.  Once that was done, and DW determined that there is no directory damage needing repair, IV would run and make sure that files were valid.  I think this is the proper order for file validation, right?

If it's too much work to get IV to launch a disk utility, then perhaps this could also be accomplished by a checklist of sorts in the DB. This could be accompanied by user prompts if necessary.

This also points up the need to have a printed version of the DB list (I would also *really* like this in IIP.) Although I am generally in opposition to requiring printouts to manage digital work, file validation seems to be a place where it would be handy and appropriate.

Peter

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: