Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
2.2.02 nits
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 10:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  2.2.02 nits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.2.02 nits  (Read 4922 times)
Dawnne Gee

"Art is science made clear." ~ Jean Cocteau

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »

1. the "start" button (the resulting browse dialog) has decided to forget where i was last time again. a relatively minor nit, except for the fact that the old stuff i'm currently transporting using IIP is 7 folders into an old drive i have temporarily connected, and moving them into a new structure just for ingestion would be a huge waste of time.

2. ingestion database table records the 'client', 'project' and 'card' information from the main page for each ingestion, even if i have opted to use no metadata (i'm sucking in the last of my previous archives today).

3. ingestion database "should", imho, record the directory ingested from. especially when running off a hard drive.

items 2 & 3 make the ingestion table unusable as a checklist for making sure everything's ingested, which it could otherwise handily do.

4. the project table still has a checklist column (hey, i told you i was picking nits!)

5. i remember why you made all the calls to the database generic, but that means they don't open what they say they're going to open, which makes [ingestions] operate the same as Tools/Database. imho, you could either lose the [ingestions] button, or (i suppose) spend a lot of time ensuring that calls to the database don't open multiple instances of it.

6. maybe make Help/Buy a License... and Help/Enter Registration Code... disappear if registrered?

7. imho, rename "Multi Camera" to "Time Sync" or something similar, and make it more friendly for altering time on one camera (as in, get rid of the two-directory requirement)?

i'm very good at suggesting more work for other people, aren't i. sorry! don't forget that i very much love IIP and will continue to use it over LR's and other processes.

~ Dawnne Gee
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »

Thanks for the list, Dawnne.

Are you saying that the behavior of the Start button has changed insofar as remembering the folder is concerned?

--Marc

Dawnne Gee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »

yeah, i thought it was remembering that. maybe it wasn't? first the mind goes, you know....

~ Dawnne Gee
Dawnne Gee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »

these come, by the way, at the end of ingesting my archives. i can run some duplications to test, but i hopefully won't be slogging through so many photos in one sitting again anytime soon!

8. naming scheme for ingestion was setup as: {@prefix,1,-1,_}{@datetime,1,8}_{@filename,-4} some of the files being pulled in had been renamed under an old (read: stupid and thankfully only used once) naming convention: SHOOTXXXSTATUS, where XXX was a 3-digit number. at the end of processing, the files were produced as JDG_YYYYMMDD_(last digit of XXX)STATUS_00XXX.NEF, as follows:

original: flower357edit.NEF
saved: JDG_20040425_7edit_00357.NEF

i thought it would be doing something freaky, i just didn't know it would get THAT freaky!!! the horrendous naming convention came about from trying to keep track of file status while doing all the editing in Capture Editor, and since it was a destructive process, why not change the names, too. thankfully, i only did that on one shoot which was for myself anyway.

9. if your log window could give a count of how many it is going to process while the status bar is up, that would provide some relevance to the status bar. i think anyone can guess that running this on a set of over 10,000 files is going to take a long time (like i'm in the midst of right now, and it's been at the first "tick" for at least ten minutes), but regardless, if it's possible to give the count at the beginning instead of the end, i think that would be helpful. knowing what a bear "estimated time" is, i won't even ask, though.

~ Dawnne Gee
Dawnne Gee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:20 AM »

last one!

10. maybe fail gracefully from these name conflicts? or provide conflict resolution option to the user? i realize that going file by file programmatically for conflict resolution could be a lot of overhead, but i didn't realize that i had this particular shoot on this drive. unfortunately, the copy failure shown below was towards the *beginning* of these 11,000+ files after 203 minutes of ingestion. having anticipated some errors (meaning mine, not yours) i had copied off the backup folder before i started, so copying the files manually to the process repository won't be a big deal.

actually, i still think kudos are in order to you, Marc. i really didn't expect IIP to hang with me on 11,000+ files for over three hours. and i'm even glad it was my error!

~ Dawnne Gee
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: