Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Using LR's Web feature to generate and upload JPEGs
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 10:37:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Using LR's Web feature to generate and upload JPEGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using LR's Web feature to generate and upload JPEGs  (Read 3414 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »

I've been using three approaches to building photo web sites:

1. Putting photos in my blog, some of which are links to larger versions of the same photo. This is basically what sites like The Online Photographer (theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com) do.

2. Building photo web sites from programs like Lightroom. (About 10 years ago I created a Windows app called Albumatic that's very widely used, but I don't use it any more myself.)

3. Using sites that do the job for me, such as SmugMug, which I is the one I like.

Neither approach #2 or #3 seems suited for photo essays or blogs. I use #3 for family pictures, so members of my family can order their own prints or download the full-size image, but SmugMug requires a lot of option-setting, and maybe even some HTML customization, if you're going to use it for posting photos for the general public to view. (The site is extremely customizable.)

Anyway, until today, when I wanted to put a photo on my blog (it's at basepath.com), I used iView or LR to generate a small image (maybe 400 pixels wide) and a also larger image (maybe 1000 pixels wide), used an FTP app to upload them to my site, and then used some boilerplate HTML to tie the two together. I've been using a simple PHP page to display the larger image, although you can also just link directly to the JPEG.

Today I started using an easier method. LR, like other apps that generate photo web sites, can generate the small and large images automatically, saving me a bunch of pointing and clicking, even with LR's export presets. I don't usually use the HTML generated and uploaded by LR, but just the photos.

Then, in my blog, using blogging software I wrote myself, I just put in a line like this:

Code:
.photoweblink nonav gillette IMG_20070218_0129 McManamen Park, Gillette, Wyoming

and my software changes it to an IMG element that's a link to the PHP page that displays the larger image. Or, if the 2nd argument is "nav" instead of "nonav," the link is to the actual LR-generated page, from which the user can navigate within the LR-generated site, and even get to the LR-generated index page. (Sometimes I want that, and sometimes I don't.) In case you've lost track, the code in my blog just sets up the linking; the photos were uploaded by LR.

If the 2nd argument is "nolink," the small picture just displays, without linking to anything.

My point is that I'm using the LR Web feature as a JPEG generator and uploader, with my own code doing the display. Maybe this will give someone else some ideas so that they can be further developed.

If anyone really wants my code I can send it, but it's not packaged up as a product, and anyone looking at it can see that it was developed for my own use. It's written in PHP and requires PHP on the web server.

--Marc

Mel_Lammers

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »

I've been using three approaches to building photo web sites:

1. Putting photos in my blog, some of which are links to larger versions of the same photo. This is basically what sites like The Online Photographer (theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com) do.

2. Building photo web sites from programs like Lightroom. (About 10 years ago I created a Windows app called Albumatic that's very widely used, but I don't use it any more myself.)

3. Using sites that do the job for me, such as SmugMug, which I is the one I like.

Marc,

In my quest for a completely integrated environment where I don't have to write any code in any language [although I used to be fluent in UNIX shell] I would hope that the nice folks at smugmug where I have my on-line photos http://darkroom-lens-photography.smugmug.com would figure out a way for smugmug to accept the Web output of LR so you could input directly and have smugmug accept what your LR Web layout is.

I am going to ask them but I suspect the answer will be [so much to do, so little time]. Sigh!! Cheesy

Mel
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »

Mel--

I don't think this would work for them because (1) their site is so feature rich that it's very hard to import anything other than images, and (2) the LR output is fully baked into a web site and is very hard to break down into its structural and visual components.

The best that I think we could get is support in LR for uploading to SmugMug (and other similar sites). I don't know to what extent SmugMug supports external uploading apps.

--Marc

seanmccormack

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:09:33 AM »

Sites like Flickr with an uploader can do this using Export Actions and Export Prests (ie uploading the images automatically)
I believe Picture Sync will upload to SmugMug (but as I'm in Ireland, I don't use this service).
Currently Mac only, it is in development for Windows.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: