Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
DAM - the Lightroom way
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 09:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  DAM - the Lightroom way
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: DAM - the Lightroom way  (Read 48567 times)
Niall Horley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »

I'm spending so much time in this forum, it may be telling me I prefer it to iVMPro?
Chris Bishop

I have not looked at iVMPro, I may try and catch the demo at focus, I may even see you there.

Niall

Niall Horley
www.lifeatf8.co.uk
DannyG

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »

"Dan, Are you intending to have a lot of catalogs? hence why the catalog name is in the derivative path."

Niall,
The more I think about it I belive that I will create a sub-catalog within it's parent for anyderivatives within that catalog. At that point I would not have catalog names in the derivative path, just the bucket folders.
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »

I've spent tonight playing.
I backup : My Documents  My Pictures  Lightroom  lightroomdatabase.Irdb
I hope this is right
My backup program finds the photos and the xmp files and backs them both up.
If I reload a master then it gets saved as a derivative - psd, tiff DNG with a suffix etc. I know there are other options, but it's only been 5 days, I'm learning.
To move a file or folder I use export, even within lightroom, I haven't found another way (yet) - keep as DNG
Chris Bishop
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »

I've just come back from Focus. An easier way to move photos wothin LR is ti just drag and drop.
Chris Bishop
DannyG

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 07:27:31 AM »

Chris, do you mean moving photos within LR from folder to folder?
Tom

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »

Hello,
I was not able to open your latest iDisk pdf for some reason and I use a mac. I would like to see the latest revision of the work flow you use with LR? I am using the trail version now. I would like to use DNG and only plan on using LR and CS2 or maybe 3 when it comes out. I also use iPhoto sometimes so wish they would take DNGs as well but that is not critical.
If you could post it again I will try again to view it and maybe there are some additional changes that you have made. Also I have not used LR backup yet so will have to try that.

thanks
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »

DannyG yes, I hadn't found the simple way - just drag and drop from folder to folder as you progress through the workflow per the book.
Chris Bishop
DannyG

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »

John and Peter, do you have any thoughts or feedback on what we are trying to do here?

Dan
DannyG

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 01:12:43 PM »

FYI
I've started to update my photos using what we have worked on here. On my flow chart I show the folders in the RAW buckets as ...
shoot_starting photo file no._date

I am now changing this and putting the date before the photo file no. ...
shoot_date_starting photo file no.

I have two cameras so obviously the numbers are different and I rather have the folders chronologically. Thought I would share this.

Dan
DannyG

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »

I needed to remove the flow chart from my website. If you would like it, send me an email.

Dan
Tom

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2007, 08:02:06 AM »

Under prefrences there is a library backup feature. I have looked but am not certain what exactly that does and where it backs up to. Can someone please explain as I understand I should be using it.
Thanks,
Tom
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2007, 08:34:33 AM »

Yest the database should be backed up, but I use my daily back up program, just adding the database folder to it's list of folders to back up, along with accounts, spreadsheets Word docs etc.
Chris Bishop
Tom

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2007, 09:30:18 AM »

I do backup my hard drive weekly but should backup my database folder daily. The question I have is where is the library database folder found. I am on a mac.
I looked under LR but didn't see any thing accept if you want to backup library but not indication as to where it should go or a location for a database folder.
thanks again,
Tom
mhernandez

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2007, 10:19:39 AM »

Tom,

Have you looked in your /Users/Tom/Pictures folder? It seems LR puts the central database there along with a Backup folder, if you decide not to make smaller databases. If you do make individual LR databases, LR might create the backups in a folder next to the smaller .LRdb.

I stopped using a centralized ibrary after beta4, as I have been making a new LR database for each "shoot" a la John Beary's "project-based" approach in the "Should I use Lightroom as my asset manager?"  thread. Storing this individual LR database, a folder really, alongside its corresponding RAW_ folder, which has the 'Proprietary RAW+XMP' files, helps me find the LRdb more easily. The LR database then becomes part of the regular backup routine for my RAW buckets. Per discussions in these forums, I am keeping iView Media Pro as my asset manager if I want to look for photos across shoots until LR becomes more DAM friendly. While it is a professional-level RAW converter, LR behaves more like Photoshop Elements (the Organizer, rough handling of metadata, no scripting yet) when it comes to digital asset management than CS2. I will be receiving Martin Evening's LR book soon and will see what he has to say about how to organize folders. (He may be using a central LR library for his own image collection, though.)

Mannix

______
Nikon dSLRs, ImageIngester, iView Media Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements 4.0, DNG 3.7, Powerbook 2GB
Tom

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »

Mannix,

Thanks, I found the database files and I have them for b2 b3 etc. I will sort those out so I back those up regularly. I thought about purchasing iview but at this point decided against it. I will work with LR for the next 6 months or so and if I find it satisfactory then I will stay with it and hope that the DAM function improves. Since I don't have a DAM currently, only iPhoto and some folders I am starting from scratch. I just want to make certain I back up my photos correctly. Keep me posted on the Martin's book. I was thinking about getting a book on LR or just joining NAPP and use there tutorials but for that cost I can purchase several books. Now that I have a registered copy of LR I will need to start in on organizing all my older photos, or at least the ones I want to keep.
Were does John talk about his organization on this site, if you can remember the thread.

If I just back up my LR folder under pictures I will have everything backed up at least as far as LR is concerned then. Do you know if I can get the b2 etc backups all to the v1 folder or do I even need to do that? I think I should just be able to delete those as they should al be transfered to the v1 backup folder.

Thanks,
Tom
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: