Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Flag status survives export as DNG?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 10:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Flag status survives export as DNG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flag status survives export as DNG?  (Read 4343 times)
mikeseb
« on: March 31, 2007, 06:44:53 PM »

Maybe you've noticed this already, but when I import my RAW files into LR and flag them as Picks and give them star ratings, these ratings do not always survive the conversion to DNG. Specifically, when I choose "Export As DNG" and send the newly-created DNG's to a new folder, the flag status doesn't survive, and I think the star rating survives inconsistently. However, when I choose "Convert to DNG" and make the change within the same folder where the RAW's reside, the flags and ratings DO survive.

Anyone else noticed this? My RAW's are .dcr files from a Kodak ProBack. Thanks in advance.
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:25:53 PM »

Mike

This seems logical enough regarding flags. Convert switches the catalogued items from raw files to DNGs, so it's natural that they keep the flags, but export sends them outside the LR environment where flags have no meaning. Flagging is a temporary status - for deciding whether to keep or trash.

Flags are linked to Collections (wrongly IMHO) so could that be what's happening? The star ratings should remain - I've not seen a problem in this area.

John
mikeseb
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:04:19 AM »

Makes sense, John. I've not made much use of collections, yet, so I don't think that's a factor.

I really hope someone comes up with scripts pretty soon to allow conversion of iVMP Catalog Sets to LR Collections (or keywords) and iVMP custom fields to keywords. And a script to move People to a "Person Name>People" LR hierarchical keyword would also be nice, as long as this scripting illiterate is dreaming!! Smiley I am becoming more enamored of LR's DAM features, especially their hierarchical keywording capability, but I still rely on iVMP for the heavy DAM lifting, and these things would help the two programs integrate more easily.

It's made me realize that I should have long ago settled on a controlled and hierarchical keywording system (12,000 images ago) rather than the random stream-of-consciousness method I've been using in iVMP! Smiley
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:21:05 AM »

Patience, Mike.

Also, regarding the "stream of consciousness" thing.  You will probably be able to make some good use of those annotations.  Cleaning them up, reorganizing, and deleting and creating new hierarchies will help unify them, and probably be easier than starting from scratch.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: