Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Creative use of Labels now that we have Pick flags
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 09:36:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Creative use of Labels now that we have Pick flags
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Creative use of Labels now that we have Pick flags  (Read 5035 times)
GiovanniM

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »

Hi Peter

I wonder what you've come up with to creatively use the Red/Yellow/Green labels that have been 'freed up' by the availability of Pick flags in LR (That is assuming Pick=Green, Reject=Red, None=Outtakes by default). That is, if you have given up your color Labels.

Perhaps you did not: surely you need the colors if you still use CS2 where htere are no flags... (that is if you still use Bridge for sorting thing and if Bridge in CS3 has not been alligned with LR with flag handling capability.

I am tempted to assign the purple label to anything 'pending rating', although you will probably suggest that stuff still to be edited belongs to a different 'editing' directory altogether.

I am also tempted to assign the blue label to virtual copies (generally BW conversions in my case), because I don't know that there's a way to select original v/ virtual copy images in any other way.

I am finally tempted to assign the gren label to a category in between Pass and Outtakes, which I would call 'Keepsakes', these being mostly family & friends snaps that would not normally qualify as Pass but you still would want to select if showing them to said family and friends.

Any ideas/comments?
Thanks
Giovanni
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »

Giovanni,
Since I'm not using Lightroom for my asset management, I don't make much use of the pick flags.  Even those times when I use Lightroom to process whole shoots on their way into the archive, the extra levels of temporary picking have not been necessary.

If you are using Lightroom fro asset management, then the new sorting tools can be handy, depending on the task at hand.

I agree that a label to indicate "not yet rated" is a good use of that tool.
Peter
GiovanniM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:46:21 PM »

Thanks Peter!
Ideas from other forum members? I don't think there's any 'right' answer here, it all depends on the focus of one's work and on the specific DAM flow one uses.
Giovanni
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:41 PM »

You're absolutely right.. there's no right answer!!

I use the flags for rejected only.  That way I can bulk delete these images that I don't want (at all) with just a few clicks (and review them before I hit the point of no return).  For my picks, I still use star ratings.  1 star for images for images to show the client, two for 'my' picks.  Three for client selects, four for my selects (for portfolio or samples) and 5 for competition prints.

I use the coloured labeled for categorizing client selects.  For example, in weddings, green is for bride's parent album, red if for groom's and yellow are 'cross-over' images that will appear in both. 

nwa2

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 07:35:42 AM »

Giovanni,
Since I'm not using Lightroom for my asset management, I don't make much use of the pick flags.  Even those times when I use Lightroom to process whole shoots on their way into the archive, the extra levels of temporary picking have not been necessary.

If you are using Lightroom fro asset management, then the new sorting tools can be handy, depending on the task at hand.

I agree that a label to indicate "not yet rated" is a good use of that tool.
Peter

I do something similar.  First thing I do om import is asign all new imports to yellow (uncategorised).  Then once I get them catalogued I assign them to purple.  This way I can quickly fiind any images I have still to categories.

No particular logic in color selection - just a random choice.

I use the reject flag to identify anything I don't want to do bulk deletes.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: