Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LR v1 now available
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 12:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  LR v1 now available
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: LR v1 now available  (Read 10118 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »

I just purchased, downloaded, and installed version 1 without any problems http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/.

ACR 3.7 and DNG Converter 3.7 are not yet available.  Hopefully will show up here on the LR Info tab soon http://lightroom-extra.com/.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:40:57 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Photo_op
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »

Dan-
try-
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

Dave B
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:02:31 AM »

ACR & DNG Converter are available-different download site.
Chris Bishop
Butch_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:08:31 AM »

I took the plunge and purchased LR v1 as well. I am really intrigued with the develop module and some of it's abilities. I will be working and learning a workflow in combination with iView fo now. I know it is not ready for prime time as far as DAM is concerned, however, I thought it a good idea to get in now so I would be able to ride the upgrade trail to if and when it matures into a better DAM manager. Adobe has't let me down yet, been disapointed a time or two on some functionality at times, but they usually come around to their customers needs eventually. We'll see how it goes.
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »

Butch

Here are a two or three Beardy Develop tips...

Don't undervalue Quick Develop - make as much use as possible of it. It has 2 purposes - ensuring you fairly compare (eg bracketed) images, and as the fastest way for getting lots of images close to their final state.

In Develop, hold down Ctrl/Cmd and click the Sync button. It becomes Auto Sync - any changes you make to one image will be applied to all the selected ones (like ACR's behaviour). If you work in Develop, this avoids the "do it then sync it" two step.

Third, the adjustment order is a little different from the old ACR method (the approach in Bruce Fraser's ACR books) which centres on using Exposure to set the white point. Instead, Exposure is for setting overall brightness, without worrying too much about highlights because you then use Recovery to pull them back. After that, I feel it's best to be quite aggressive with the Blacks and pull up the Fill Light, though I do lots of work with the "adjustment painter", what I call the "targeted adjustment tool"

Have fun!

John
Butch_M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:11:37 AM »

Thanks for the tips John .... I try them out ... been reading every word and watcing every video tutorial I can find on the web.

Butch
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »

I've been working with the program a lot over the last 6 months and was trying to say things that don't come through in videos when they focus on buttons and sliders. Those 3 tips are more like reflections on the very best (quality + productivity) way to work. For Lightroom, you need to shake off the Photoshop fine art one-off mentality and QD can easily be undervalued - at Digital Outback there's an aside about "Quick and Dirty" - but QD really does boost your productivity. Blowing my own trumpet too, I don't think any of the videos mention Auto Sync in Develop yet - I'm pretty sure this post showed it first. And the best overall working order is something that gets lost when you're looking at detailed steps. Rather than just describing the buttons you should press, these thoughts are what I try to put into my Lightroom posts.

Oh, and another uber-tip - always create a new collection IMMEDIATELY after creating new versions. Otherwise it's a pain to select just the virtual copies, or just the masters.

I can feel a "10 commandments" blog post coming on! Number 5 would be "memorize thy keyboard shortcuts".

John
Mark Beckelman

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »

In Develop, hold down Ctrl/Cmd and click the Sync button. It becomes Auto Sync - any changes you make to one image will be applied to all the selected ones (like ACR's behaviour). If you work in Develop, this avoids the "do it then sync it" two step.

John -- for the mac, shouldn't the shortcut be Option/Cmd?

Mark Beckelman
Butch_M

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »

Hey John,

Nice blog, need to really spend some quality time reading it in detail. I'm trying to focus on work and will have to wait until this evening to for recreation. Michael Tapes did cover the Auto-Sync ability in one of his newest video tutorials ... was one of the tipping points for me to purchase ... along with a promotional code that saved 15% ... seems like after the learning curve, LR should really speed up my work flow. The spot and healing was another deal maker as healing blemishes seems to be about the only task I HAVE to do in PS on the vast majority of images.

Butch
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:51:57 AM »

Mark

Holding down Alt/Opt + Ctrl/Cmd changes the button's display and switches you temporarily into Auto Sync mode, so you can use the mouse to change a slider setting. Ctrl/Cmd clicking the Sync button switches you "permanently" into that mode.

John
Steve Fines

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »

Hello,

If you haven't purchased it yet and are going to the promo code    Macworld07    will save you $30. Not sure when / if it will expire.

DNG 3.7 and Camera Raw 3.7 downloaded fine as well.

I haven't tried editing a file and metadata with LR on a RAW file and then running it through the new DNG converter to see if it picked up the changes, but it is supposed to.
Dawnne Gee

"Art is science made clear." ~ Jean Cocteau

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »

here's funny:

i pre-ordered it. haven't heard a word from Adobe about its availability yet.

last night, at midnight eastern time, however, i received the blast-announce to the press-beta list, which is a different email address than what's on my pre-order.

left hand, right hand, look mom, no hands!

{edit} oh, even more hilarity ensues: i visit the link provided by the purchase-confirmation email, go through the process it describes to download Lightroom, only to discover that the download is not yet available. long story short: pre-order means post-delivery. yes, my karma sucks. murphy's law strikes again and all that. too freakin' funny. it's a good thing i have other things to do!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 03:49:13 PM by Dawnne Gee » Logged

~ Dawnne Gee
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »

here's funny:

i pre-ordered it. haven't heard a word from Adobe about its availability yet.

Same here.  I went ahead downloaded the 30 day trial.  I figure Adobe will get around to sending me proper registration before the thirty days is up.

Bob Smith
Dawnne Gee

"Art is science made clear." ~ Jean Cocteau

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »

just got the availability notice from adobe. i'm not really one of those guys who just HAS to be the first dork on the block with the new-fangled software, but you would kinda think that pre-orders would have been fulfilled first, even when they're digital and they're not going to run out of stock.

but whoever said logic belongs in software? heh.

~ Dawnne Gee
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 05:06:44 AM »

It takes me 2 minutes to travel to work, and this is what came to me this morning.
LR v1 is a fine piece of software, but not there yet.
It needs a lowish specced machine to work.
It is relatively cheap at the moment(when does the intro offer finish?).
DNG converter 3.7 is a good work-around between LR and iVMPro
Developers kit not out yet.

How about putting lightroom on the laptop for the away from base shoots?
DNG converter can link the files back to iVMPro, where the files can be imported into the catalogue (DAM workflow, documented)

Ask, beg plead with Peter to to create a R&F LR (NOT for free--he does too much for this forum anyway) (Even if he doesn't need the money, we need to show our appreciation of his efforts and suppport) to link the ranking from LR to iVMPro. This would allow two workflows to end up in iVMPro.

Keeping metadata public and private via keywords and catalogues-cataloguing would have to be done in iVMPro, as I don't think we could share catalogues between the two apps.

Well it's an idea-comments?

Chris Bishop
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: