Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I took the leap
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 06:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  I took the leap
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I took the leap  (Read 3859 times)
Butch_M

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:15:46 AM »

Hello,

This is my first post to the DAM Forum and I hope it is not out of place to share this link. After several months of studying The DAM Book and using the Rapid Fixer script, I recently took the plunge in adding a JBOD system. I purchased two 4 drive unit housings from the link below and added drives from newegg.com to begin a fresh live and local archive. The units I purchased from Superldg-Store were shipped timely and were of very good quality and the firm was very helpful in replacing one of the firewire boards that was DOA. This was a slight inconvenience but they did everything they could to get me a replacement board quickly. I have no affiliation with the firm .... just a satisfied customer and thought I would share the info as their prices were very reasonable and the equipment sound. Just thought I would share my experince, but of course do your own research.

Butch_M

http://stores.ebay.com/Superldg-Store
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:42:01 AM »

Butch

Would you mind writing down your exact shopping list? Less interested in prices, more in all the bits. I've not given up on taking the plunge myself!

John
Butch_M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »

Hi John,

Thanks for all your helpful posts on the Dam Forum. I sometimes find I learn as much from your questions as I do from some of the asnwers as well. If you know what I mean.

I purchased two of the drive housings like the link below. Because I have a Mac system and budget constraints, I opted to use FireWire 400 and USB2 combo connections ... kind of a failsafe if a cable goes bad and I don't have a spare I can switch to the other port if need be. One housing is always live with 4 drives. 1. Raw files, 2. Derivative files, 3. Working Files Backup (My current working files are kept on a second drive housed by my main work station), 4 Currently empty. The second housing is a duplicate of the first and is offline until the end of the work day when I backup either manually or scheduled with Deja Vu. I also bought four extra drive sleds which are again a copy of the active drives backed up weekly and kept off site.

That's the system for now. I pondered going with SATA drives and eSATA housings, however, my budget couldn't swing that dream at this point. I paln a major computer in about 18 months and will look again at the JBOD systems and what is available. Currently it is working out just fine I would like it to be sleeker and faster but this got my foot in the door today rather than waiting till I could build more purchase power.

Hope this helps.
link to 4-bay-Firewire-800
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:40:08 AM by johnbeardy » Logged
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »

Butch

What I'm trying to work out is all the bits that link these things together and make them work. Things like power supplies, what cables you needed. I found a local company that can build these things but I don't see why I can't do it - hell, I can put new showers and gas boilers in, so why not a JBOD?

John
Butch_M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:22:11 AM »

John,

With the units I purchased, the power supply, fans and interface boards are built into the unit. All I had to do was install the drives into the removable sleds. Each unit came with two IDE to FireWire boards that each have 2 FireWire 400 ports (This allows for Daisy Chaining of mutiple units) and 1 USB2 port. Connecting both JBOD housings  to the computer can be done using just three FireWire cables to connect both housings (three jumpers to daisy chain and a main to the computer)or 4 USB2 cables. However, For FireWire, data tranfer speed would be better if you connected each interface board to the computer with it's own cable.

Each interface card uses a 40 pin IDE ribbon cable to connect to two drives. One is Master, one is Slave. I set the jumpers on all my drives to Cable Select, this allows a drive to be used in any open slot. The actual drive sled mehanisms can be purchased from the store I mentioned are about $12-$16 as I recall, the interface boards are about  $40 to $60. Using the equipment I have, Slots 1 and three are seen as Master, and slots 2 and 4 are Slaves. If a drive is not inserted into slots 1 or 3, drives 2 and 4 will not mount as they appear as orphans. You could use as many boards as you have drives, where they are all seen as masters but cabling could get congested both internally and externally.

I would kike to mention that each housing has two fans, one for cooling the power supply, one for cooling the housing itself. each drive sled has a smaller fan to assist in cooling the individual drives.

You could assemble a JBOD yourself, but while doing my research, I found that the price I paid for the pre-assembled enclosure was more cost effective and less hassle and I didn't have to hunt down cover plates etc.

If memory serves me, I think you are in the UK and shipping and impot duties could really drive the price up. I am not aware of a firm in the UK that offers similar equipment, but I am sure some one over there does this.

Hope that this info helps.

Butch
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: