The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  CS2 Labels not Visible in I-View
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: CS2 Labels not Visible in I-View  (Read 21058 times)
BillRogers

View Profile Email
« on: January 06, 2006, 06:38:31 AM »

Peter, I know you're busy with the seminars - I hope they are going well. Please add me to your e-mail list for notification of future seminars.

I love the book - it's wonderful. I bought a second copy as a gift to my son.

My problem is that I cannot make the colored labels from Bridge visible in iView. I'm using WinXP, Bridge, and an iView trial version, and Bridge has been updated to the newest version. The star ratings are visible in iView - in fact , everything works just the way you say it should, except for the labels.

It appears that this is one of the annotation fields with a mismatch. CS2 puts labels into the "urgency" field, which has been deprecated in the IPTC/XMP Core field list. I tried all three options under iView - edit>preferences>general>field names, but it doesn't seem to help.

I feel that I must be missing something very obvious - if so, I apologize - thanks for your help ...and THANK YOU for writing the book.

Bill Rogers
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »

Bill,

You should find your answer on pp.189-191 and p.203 in the book.  The key is the "Rank & File" script.  Just remember to check the iView compatibility box in the R&F dialog box.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:37:51 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »

Bill,
You could also work around not having Rank and File by selecting all images with a particular Bridge Label and assigning them a keyword of that name.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 08:39:37 AM »

Also, if you add a prefix to your ratings and labels in R&F, I believe you will also need to use that prefix when assigning your labels in iView.  I could be wrong here, haven't tried it yet.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 09:00:11 AM »

Don't you still have to go into iView, select all of the items that you put your keyword on regardless of what you've called it, and then assign the label to them?

Rick

Rick
Win XP Pro, iView MP3, Canon 20D, DNG
AlanDunne

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:12:30 PM »

Confirmed. Once you have the Bridge label as a keyword (either manually or via Rank and File) then in IView it is a manual, but easy, step to select the label keyword in the Organize view to find all images with that keyword, then assign the corresponding IView label.

Cheers ... Alan
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:53:59 PM »

Yes, that was my understanding but I'm too new to all of this to give advice to others.   Grin

Rick
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »

If you use R&F to embed your labels into the IPTC Urgency fields, and you have your labels set up correctly in iView as shown on p. 203, your labels should be available automatically in iView with no further work.  I have not done this yet, but that is my impression from the book.

Regards,
Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »

Only rankings can be mapped from Bridge to iView Labels by Ranks and File.  Bridge Labels are not really associated with the number keys, only with the term itself, so there is no way for Rank and File to know which Bridge labels would go with each iView Label. 
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »

Peter,

I see.  Well here's where I'm confused then:  If the Bridge label and rating info is stored in the XMP data, and iView's label info is stored in the Urgency field, wouldn't it be possible to just hardcode, "Unrated", "TrashMe", and "Outtake" directly into the R&F script.  Then when R&F finds one of the terms in the XMP data, it would just set the Urgency field appropriately.  I realize this is a hardcoded solution based on those terms, but I'm certainly willing to live with that Smiley.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:45:18 PM by danaltick » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 05:44:30 PM »

Dan,
The Stars are stored in XMP in the same way always, as a value of 1-5.  The label value is stored as a word - say, Unrated - independent of which key commmand is associated with the term.  How would the script know which iView Label value to map the Bridge label value to?  (One user could have 6 as unrated, and one user could have 7 as Unrated.)  There's no way for the script to know which key you have Unrated mapped to.

We could have added a panel in Rank and File to let the user manually type in a key that would say "Map Unrated to IPTC Urgency 6."  We decided against this, because we foresaw a huge number of errors coming from this approach.  We opted to just write it to the keywords and leave it at that.
Peter
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:21:27 AM by peterkrogh » Logged
rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 05:46:45 PM »

Then when R&F finds one of the terms in the XMP data, it would just set the Urgency field appropriately.

Dan  -  I think the issue is that iView doesn't do anything with the Urgency field.  I asked Peter in this thread what exactly the point was in putting this info in the Urgency field and he confirmed that iView doesn't do anthing with it.

Rick

Rick
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »

Peter,

Thanks for the explanation.  I understand now.

Rick, I do believe according to the book, iView does use the Urgency field for the colored labels.  I think Peter was just saying, "That's all it does".  In otherwords, R&F will map the Bridge ratings to the iView colored labels, it just doesn't map the Bridge colored labels to the iView colored labels.  You have to do that yourself using the keywords.  Peter, correct me if I'm wrong here.  Thanks.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:36:10 PM by danaltick » Logged

rfreschner

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 08:23:35 PM »

Dan - you're right, I didn't get that from Peter's explanation.  And, I haven't tried using R&F in iView, only Bridge at this point.  Maybe I'll give that a shot to test it out.

Rick

Rick
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 09:27:07 AM »

Dan,
You are correct.  (I just corrected a misprint in my earlier response, where I talked about adding a panel in iView.  It should read - and now does - that we could have added a panel in Rank and File.)

Rank and File can only be run from Bridge.
Peter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: