Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
importing keywords into iView
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:22:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Keywords and Controlled Vocabulary
| | |-+  importing keywords into iView
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: importing keywords into iView  (Read 16285 times)
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »

I have just started my transistion over to iView and I am using Windows XP.  I mainly shoot wildlife and nature and in the DAM software i was using I created a number of files with species and common names.  I spent some time in iView last night and in the manual and I would like to know how does one import a list of keywods into iView?  Seems to me that is should be simple, but I did not see it last night.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »

Scott

Look at the Vocabulary Editor. You can use multiple vocabularies, one for birds, one for plants etc. Using comma separated entries, you can also enter both common and Latin names at once.

John
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

Thanks John for the quick reply,

From what I saw last night this would have to be done one species at a time, I would not be able to all ~900 species of North American Birds at one time?  Is this correct?

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:09 AM »

Scott

Not really. Put them in a comma-separated text file (Excel is good at building one) so you might have each line reading something like "Parrot, Latin name, Bird, Psittacines" and then place this file in the correct subfolder.

John
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »

John thanks again for your quick response. 

I do not think I am expressing my question as clearly and i am trying not to be difficult.  I did understand the one line with the species info, what i am more looking for is there a way to import a list like:

Parrot, Latin name, Bird, Parrot, Psittacines
Eagle, Latin name, bird, Raptor, family name
Hawk, latin name, bird, Raptor, family name

I think I understand that the above list would have to be 3 copy/pastes, is that correct?

What I would like to do, (actually I have the file) is to have a similar list of all birds and import all of them in one (or a series) click.  Is this possible?  My list of likely birds is well over 2000 species, and then there is the mammals, reptiles, and so on.  I have done this for another DAM application in the past.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:23:33 AM »

Scott

When you say you want to import them, what precisely do you mean? Do you mean to the Keywords panel in Organize? In Organize view, you see what is fundamentally an analysis of existing keywords that have been assigned to images, and you can also add entries to that list but not in bulk. You gain nothing other than being able to drag and drop to those entries - make the keywords list 2000 items long and it loses that benefit. Instead, create Vocab Editor files which constrains your keyword assignment and gives multiple entry efficiencies, and which you can do in bulk.

John
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »

John - I think I finally understand what you are saying, so i think I need to go back and spend a little more time in iView working with the initial catalog I generated to more fully understand the program. 

Right now I am at work and I will spend some time in the next few days working with the program, in fact, I will be on a combination business and pleasure trip and hope to spend some more time with the DAM Book and shooting.  After that I am sure I will have a few more questions. 

Thanks for your help,

Scott
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:37:45 AM by ScottBuckel » Logged

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »

Scott,
I was speaking to the North American Nature Photographers in Palm Springs last week, and this subject came up.

One way to tame this task is to use Catalog Sets to organize the information.  You can make hierarchies there.  So you could have
Animals>Birds>Parrots>Yellow Billed Code talker

Although this does not put the information in the Keywords field, there are ways to transfer that later.

The chief advantage to this approach is that the structure is in a hierarchy, and that it can be easily transfered to different computers by creating a "carrier image".  Here are the steps:
1. Create the hierarchy set structure
2. Assign a single image to all sets
3. Save out a JPEG copy of the image with "preserve annotations "checked in the convert Images dialog
4. Import into another catalog, all the hierarchy will show up
5. Delete the image from the catalog
6. All the Catalog Sets will remain, but they will be empty.

If anyone is interested in posting carrier images to share with bio information (genus and species tree), I'd be happy to host them here.  This could save a lot of work building the genus and species trees.
Peter
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12:26 AM »

Peter, John and others -

I have been playing around with catalog sets and I like your suggestion to create catalog sets for all of the birds for example.  What I have done is created a list of all of the birds in the North American  Central American region from American Birding Association web site.  This list is about 1800 entries (I have something like 400 species in my film and digital archives right now - needing to get organized).  I generated two lists - a more simple one with just the orders and species, and one that includes Orders, families, subfamilies in some cases and species. I ideally want to include mammals and reptiles in the future as well - the naturalist in me wants to do this.

Is there way I can use this list to create the catalogs without cutting and pasting each line to create the catalog set structure.   I keep thinking that there should be a file with the catalog set structure that i can paste in the data I have in excel.  I am hoping I have missed something very simple.

I have use Peter's suggested flow from above, but I am looking for an easy way to do step 1 - I have all of the other steps quite successfully.

Once I get this altogether I will gladly share this with anyone that wants to use it. 

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:27:46 AM »

Scott

Take a look at bringing it in on the back of a dummy image. The best way to see this in action is by assigning catalog sets to an image in iView, sync them to the image, and then examine the image in Bridge's File Info panel. You'll need to look at the iView panel and you'll see something like this:

English Civil War|2007|Whitehall 2007; Speakers Corner|All

So here you have an image assigned to two sets, "English Civil War" and "Speakers Corner", and then to nodes. So the key is going to be to concatenate all those cells in Excel, take the last entry, and paste it back into the panel. How well do you know Excel? I know it better than I know any other program, so email it me if you want and we can use it as an example.

John
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:43:34 AM »

John -

I am currently at work and the excel file is at home.  I know excel reasonably well, but I am not sure how to follow through on your suggestion. 

I'll email the file to you this evening.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 05:53:09 AM »

I was able to do all of the steps last night.  I used a combination of excel and word to create the concatenated list.

I habe been using the CS3 version of brdge and I do not see the iview panel is there a know problem here, or is it just me?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 06:08:19 AM »

OK, I'll not do anything with the file you sent.

The panel is broken - see replacement here.

John
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »

John,

I'll have to look into fixing the broken panel.

A combination of Excel and Word worked great to create the concatenated list.  Just so others understand what I did.

I had a list of the order, family, subfamily, common name Scientific name as columns in Excel.  Like John I use Excel for lots of different things.  I added columns between the major headings and added either the symbol | or ; as appropriate from the structure.  I then copied the entire spreadsheet (this one was about 1900 lines long) into word using paste special command and copied as unformatted text.  The resulting paste is a tab delimited listing.  I then replaced all of the tabs with no character and then replaced the line break with no character.  This generated the concatenated list that I have now copied directly into the catalog set in the iView panel. Now I have have a catalog sets with all of the North American Species of birds per the AOU revision 46 list.

If anyone wants a copy of the image with the sets pasted in or the text file with the list, send me an email and I will send it to you.

I will be working on setting up other sets for North American wildlife and I'll let you know when they are available.

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 08:55:13 AM »

I actually had a go and added a formula like this in cell E2 =A2&"|"&B2&"|"&C2&"|"&D2&";". My column F concatenated each row with the previous line, and I then pasted over the final item.

I struck a problem with the maximum length of a calculated Excel string being around 30000, so I had to break it down into 4 cut and paste operations.

John
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: