The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Useful Stuff
| |-+  DAM Useful CS3 Beta Products
| | |-+  CS3 v Lightroom
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: CS3 v Lightroom  (Read 36576 times)
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:39:04 AM »

I do not have the facilities to Clone a copy of CS2 to another HDD. Who is using it, and does it replace Lightroom? Lightroom is good. ACR4 seams the same, now
Chris Bishop
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

Chris,
Yes, the same controls are available in ACR4 as in Lightroom.  It's the same engine on a different chassis.
Why use one rather than the other?  Depends on workflow, and how your mind works.

I expect that Lightroom, in its v1 configuration, will be much more of a tool for someone who only uses one computer for their imaging.  We'll see once final details are announced.

Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:58:49 AM »

Peter,

Are we going to have to wait for CS3 to get ACR4?

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:25:13 AM »

Dan

I thought it was in the beta

John
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »

John,

Sorry, should have communicated my question better.  I'm assuming ACR4 is not, nor will be made compatible with CS2... correct?

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

Dan

Not from what I've read

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:42:47 PM »

Dan,
ACR 4 will be CS3 only.
We *should* expect that ACR 3 can see the LR/ACR4 adjustments, but you won't have access to all the levers in ACR3 (like FIll Light, or HSL sliders).
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »

Peter,

In lieu of this, instead of downloading and installing the CS3 Beta, I think I will instead start using LR for my DNG adjustments prior to creating the derivatives to get acustom to using the LR develop module.  I will do this in preparation of ACR4 when CS3 arrives.  I'm expecting your current workflow to still be the optimal one for some time; prompting the use of ACR4 over LR.... agree?  The question is, will I be able to export those LR adjustments to sidecar files for ACR4?

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »

Dan,
My current thinking is that I will probably stay with Bridge/ACR for my image adjustment workflow.  Can't lay out why, but that's what it looks like at this time.

At the moment, LR adjustments (XMP data) is not compatible with ACR4 , since the LR XMP is in a temporary syntax.  Adjustments made with beta LR should be converted to ACR4 readable XMP once the v1 software is released.

Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 08:14:38 PM »

Ok.  Sounds like low risk then.

Dan

xopoe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 10:13:13 PM »

peter,

so even though acr4 is beta, there shouldn't be too much risk using it to work with dngs and raws?  i can handle crashes, but i don't want to permanently damage any files.

carl
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:27:16 AM »

Carl,
That would be my expectation. 
Prudence dictates multiple backups of image files before working in CS3,which is what I do.
Peter
akornylak

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:18:54 AM »

I expect that Lightroom, in its v1 configuration, will be much more of a tool for someone who only uses one computer for their imaging.  We'll see once final details are announced.

Peter

Hi Peter - can you elaborate on this? Do you mean, since LR cannot auto-import from network volumes? Or do you mean because it cannot share its catalog over a network?
Thanks -

Andrew Kornylak
Editorial and Commercial Photography
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
www.akornphoto.com
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »

Andrew

Peter is referring very much to v1.0 and I think more to doing work on one computer and moving it to another.

In the public beta 4 there is a concept called shoots which was rather confusing - it muddled the difference between virtual sets and real folders. Discussion within Adobe and feedback from the beta testers, with NDAs and more widely, led to a change of direction and it's no secret that v1.0 now has folders and shoots have been put out of their misery (shot). One major casualty was the binders concept, which allowed you to package selected files with their metadata, previews and thumbnails and then import them to a library on another computer. It was great in many ways, binders meant all the thumbnails and previews were already built and the import process was quick and almost idiot proof. But its problem was that it was designed to import into the "managed" shoots which were really folders and so was very bound into the defunct concept. And it could only be re-engineered after the completion of the new and much better folder-based system.

Until they are rebuilt, users need to move files and work more manually. On one computer you can export XMP, either manually or automatically Bridge style, and you then import the pictures on the other machine. Sidecars and embedded XMP are supported (eg in DNGs).
The metadata, both the descriptive and current development, are carried over, but thumbs and previews need to be rebuilt. So for 1.0 moving work is a manual process that's not so convenient, but a whole lot better than having your files stuck in an Aperture1.0-style managed space and LR having no ability to move them where the user wants. FWIW I've been doing a lot of this over the Christmas period between Mac and PC and am not too stressed by it.

John
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:57:55 AM by johnbeardy » Logged
akornylak

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 11:30:47 AM »

John,

Was "importing into shoots" creating a separate catalog that would then have to be synchronized with both the cache and the filesystem? or was it just another way of pre-generating the cache?

In LR beta 3 to 4, "cache" was changed to "managed photos". I assume the cache in 3 was more of a bridge-style cache, and that LR is moving away from that?

I like the IVMP concept of a DB-style "catalog" and was hoping that LR would offer that, to work offline, with fast previews and catalog sharing.

I assume the inability to share the managed folders between mac and pc will go away with the release. But are you and Peter saying that LR will inherently be a direct-to-filesystem tool and not offer the catalog abstraction at all?

Andrew Kornylak
Editorial and Commercial Photography
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
www.akornphoto.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: