The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Useful Stuff
| |-+  DAM Useful CS3 Beta Products
| | |-+  Photoshop CS3 Beta Cautions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Photoshop CS3 Beta Cautions  (Read 14915 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:49 AM »

If you are considering loading up the Photoshop CS3 beta, I have some suggestions for you.

First, I suggest that you install the software on a clone boot drive, rather than on your one and only boot drive.  I suggest this because it would not be unusual for you to have some installation difficulties when the final software arrives.  You might also muck up the current settings for CS2, and need to reinstall it.

The simplest way to protect yourself in the event of some kind of software snafu is to clone your current system onto a new drive, and then install the Beta software on that drive.

If you are considering installing the beta on your only boot drive (a laptop, say) I'd wait a while before installing it, to make sure that lots of people aren't having difficulty with it.  And even in these cases, I'd strongly suggest that you clone your existing drive onto an external before installing.

I know the temptation will be strong for a lot of people to give it a whirl.  Don't make a lot of problems for yourself.
Peter

danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 06:06:16 AM »

Because I'm under Windows, I believe I will be holding off on this until release; however, I would like to know what's been done in the new ACR 4.0.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 09:30:50 AM »

Dan,
I have a movie that I will be uploading today that shows some of the changes.  It's pretty amazing.

One thing that will become more clear to a lot of people is the versatility of DNG. You can open those DNGs created with ACR3 into ACR 4 and make even better versions of the images.  WHile this has always been in the spec, seeing it in reality drives the point home.

I'll post here when the movie is up.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »

Peter,

Just saw this.  Looking forward to the movie.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 10:38:41 PM »

Dan,
Let me know if it plays okay.  I used a different compression setting on this, and I hope it will play okay on WIndows.
Peter
nurnberg

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »

Where can I download the movie?

-Paul
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »

Paul,

Thanks for reminding me about this.

Peter,

Where's that movie.  I still haven't gotten around to trying out CS3.  Too much going on and I'm still hesitant, can't afford it to slow me down right now.

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »

The movie is on the RapidFixer page.  The new first item on the page is CS3 compatibility, and the movie is at the end of that section.

http://damuseful.com/pages/rapidfixer.html

Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »

Peter,

Very nice!  Makes me want to give CS3 a try now.

Dan

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 01:35:23 AM »

A few observations that may be of interest:

When I first installed PSCS3 beta I found the new technology behind the UI annoying. Granted, XML UIs are generally more flexible althopugh I still have to see any sensible application for this; the only thing XML UIs are used for is so-called 'skins' giving the user colour schemes, smaller buttons, larger buttons etc. - bells and whistles. The downside of this technology is loss of convenient mouse shortcuts. Double-clicking the title bar of a window comes to mind, which is lost with CS3.

Another problem I originally put to the new UI tech is the now infamous flickering cursor. I was virtually unable to use PSCS3 because the tool I chose would not stick, the cursor flickered and the code behind it was switched constantly at high frequency. A bit like the old joke about my car's indicator: 'Works, doesn't, works, doesn't ...'. Unfortunately with CS3 it wasn't a joke. Turns out that the [main] culprit are older plug-ins, which I took over from CS2. If you do not use a secondary plug-in directory containing older plug-ins, the tool switching does not occur.*

Now for the good thing, Photomerge now works. Before, when I had perfectly suitable photos to stitch together, Photomerge ran into problems - always. Now even photos with very little shared features in the scene are usually aligned and blended very well and fast. Equally well and fast work the new Auto Align and Auto Blend Layers, the weapon of choice if Photomerge has problems; you simply put the problematic pictures on different layers in one document, approximately align them and use Auto Align. Auto Blend then creates a layer mask. Photomerge is not only automatic but also blends the parts better in that it tries to balance brightness and contrast.

The new Quick Selection tool is a blessing, combining the Wand tool with a brush, simply drag the QS over an area you want selected, it will assess the pixel values and automatically expand the selection. It is much faster than using the wand, although you still need to refine the result [a bit]. Over the week-end I used it on several images with a cityscape against a cloud laden sky and the river in front. Never had the correct selection that quickly. With Nikon Capture NX or Lightzone you can still be a bit faster, but Photoshop may work easier in so far as you don't have to learn how its done. Capture NX in particular needs to be understood from the ground up to get it right and good; PSCS3 builds on the knowledge most of have since most of us worked with PS in the past.

After my original installation, and me finding out that I cannot work with it [see above], I uninstalled it. Only over the week-end did I re-install and work intensively with PSCS3. Never had such ease in installing/uninstallinf/re-installing with an Adobe product, no trouble at all even though my AV-scanner and firewall was enabled all through.

*Since I now use Logitech's new mouse software SetPoint and have not yet encountered the flickering again, the hypotheses brought forward in a forum that this might also be a problematic combination seems unfounded.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: