The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  I need some suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I need some suggestions  (Read 2284 times)
LarryLee

View Profile Email
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:47:35 PM »

I just bought my first Mac after using Windows for ever.  However, I still have a notebook running Windows XP that I carry with me most of the time and frequently use it to upload images from flashcards, I have been using CS to do most of my editing and have hundreds of images in many stages ranging from RAW.TIFF.JPG and PSD,  I have done some editing and have a large number of images in several stages with  full/ flattened layers.

Here is my situation, I don't know if I should move these images to the Mac side or leave them on the Windows side (I have saved these images for PC). I have CS for Windows and have no budget to buy another copy for the Mac, so what do I do if need to edit  RAW images. Should I ignore CS and install Aperture and use it to edit and catalogue my images or buy Element for the Mac and use Aperture to cataloguing my images,

I just purchased Aperture 1.5 to be honest I haven't even opened the box since I have been reading the Aperture Forum and I feel a bit ambivalent, sp after using LR  and I liking it.

I am open to all suggestions since I have no clue what to do

Thanks in advance for your input
chrisgreen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:23:04 AM »

You could consider purchasing Photoshop CS2 for the Mac. If you own CS for Windows, you may be able to find an upgrade path from Adobe - possibly with a phone call to customer service. Once you own CS2 you could use it as you always have, you could use Bridge as a front-end to a DAM solution, and once you get off the fence on choosing your cataloging software you would own CS2 (generally a tool worth owning in any event).

The jury is still out on Aperture, in my opinion, on whether it is the 'ultimate' tool for digital photography. You may find that the Adobe products, including Lightroom eventually, will be a better solution. As a Windows user, you may appreciate the cross-platform solution.
jwint04

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:51:43 PM »

Two years ago when I made the switch to Apple, I called Adobe and they sent me a free copy of CS, but I had to kill the CS I had on mry windows machine. 
Jeff
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: